Another great story from the Apple store.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knowlege Bomb, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So some of you may remember my thread the day before yesterday about getting a brand new iPhone because of simple wifi problems. Well I'd say they've really outdone themselves now.

I got home from work last night and my girl ran up to me and flashed HER brand new iphone at me. She had mentioned poor battery life and it getting hot just sitting on the desk to the genius when I was in getting my replacement. Turns out she went back and found the same genius and got herself a replacement of her own.

Surprising enough in itself, yes. But here's the real kicker. She's not very tech savvy and when she showed me the new one I was like "oh, so you figured out how to restore it?" I hadn't done it for her yet cuz she hadn't unpacked her laptop and hadn't backed it up for some time. "Restore? No! I thought you did it already!" then she goes on to tell me she was showing the genius all of her 3rd party software and having tetris showdowns while she waited.
    So this Apple genius that replaced my phone with no hesitation the day before replaced my girlfriends with full knowledge that it had been jailbroken.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You sure your girlfriend's not doing the Genius? :eek:

3. SRSound macrumors 6502

Haha OUCH. More likely a genius who has it in for Apple (or reads MacRumors)

4. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

+1 Funniest comment of the day!!

5. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yeah. That must be it... :rolleyes:

I'd say the second response makes more sense.

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Sounds like that to me. Haha. Only Apple, you got a great genius.

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

or maybe the genius didnt realise it was a jailbreak only app... or maybe he is actually doing her!

8. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

She had the "blueprint" theme installed. I should hope he was aware. If not he's working in the wrong store...

As far as the girlfriend comments go, maturity is appreciated. Feels like I'm in high school again.

9. MattKanzler macrumors member

10. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

I had an ace applestore exprience in Sheffield buying my 3g. Sat down with my sales dude to go through the contract, did the deal, he asked me

"have you used an iphone before"

"yeh dude, I had the previous model"

"hmmm, so why are you taking out a new contract? don't you want to transfer your number"

"ummm, my last iphone was on t-mobile....I jailbroke it"

"oh....ummm, did it work ok, did all the features work? I don't know much about that"

"yeah, it was really cool, worked perfectly, never had a problem"

"awesome!, ok...........so........here's your receipt..........."

LOL

11. elbirth macrumors 65816

this was the first thing that came to mind but I decided not to say anything :p

In all seriousness, though, what's the big deal? It was jailbroken, not unlocked for use on another network. A software hack doesn't void any kind of warranties or cause any issues that can't be solved by a simple restore. Either the guy was an idiot and didn't realize it was jailbroken, didn't care that it was jailbroken and just replaced it to make it easier for everyone, or was just trying to do something nice for the (cute?) girl that was flirting with him because he felt flattered.

Oh, or maybe he's doing her.

12. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I can't speak for Apple, but I know that a few years ago there was a firmware hack for the original Canon Digital Rebel digital camera that was out. When someone had a problem, the first thing Canon did was flash the firmware. So even if it was hacked they never knew it. Maybe Apple does something similar. That would eliminate software issues.