Another guy using ipad pro as only computer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Abazigal, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Frasier Spiers has recently indicated his desire to use his ipad as his only computing device.

http://www.speirs.org/blog/2015/12/22/all-in-on-ipad-pro

Of course, the writing is still on the wall as to whether it is sustainable in the long term, but from what I gather, the main stumbling block is while there are tons of great apps that can be used for getting meaningful work done, nobody is aware of them.

I suppose inertia is another concern. If a person has spent more than a decade working from a PC and that is what he is most comfortable and familiar with, why toss out what already works for a new platform that he has to relearn all over again, for what is probably very limited gain?

It is times like this that I do feel tempted to get an ipad pro (currently using an ipad mini 2) just as a thought exercise, but I don't feel ready to make the leap yet. As a teacher, I use my ipad in the classroom, but the work involved in preparing that ipad and filling it with lesson material still come from a Mac.

I remain convinced that iOS is the future of mobile computing (not OSX on a tablet). I would like to be a part of that future, yet because my job is not predicated on me doing fancy things on an ipad, this is one future I feel content to stand back and let the early adopters spearhead.

I am not sure there is any point to this post. I am just writing to get this off my chest, but since we are at it - just curious, what sort of "work" do you find yourself doing more on your tablet as opposed to your PC these days?

2. Performa460 macrumors newbie

Performa460

Work? Mostly quick photo editing. I prefer several iOS apps (mainly for the touch-screen capability) to the more full-fledged and robust programs on my laptop. Sometimes simple is better for me.

While iOS and tablets may be the "future," I'd still love a full-fledged tablet device running OS X (or a version thereof, or any of its descendants).

3. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I think the potential for an ios laptop is there. Ipad is just too gimped to realize this potential

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Interesting take. It really depends on what you do for a living.

5. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

A lot of people use the iPad (not even just the pro) as their only computing device besides their phone. I have since the iPad Air 2 came. Sold my MacBook because I never used it and spent all my time with the iPad. Now with the pro, it's only gotten better. I can only predict over time we will get updates that add more and more functionality and make people wonder if they really need OS X. It'll be awhile, but the time will come.

6. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular

At this point, the smartphone has become the primary personal computer for many people. They might need a Windows PC for their "primary" job and hopefully their employers provide those. But once they leave the office, many people primarily use a smartphone (even if they don't realize it). The iPad and iPad Pro build on that by providing larger screens.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Bottom line is that some people can use an iPad as their primary computer, and some people can't. Just as some people can use a bicycle as their primary mode of transportation and some people need an SUV. I don't get why this needs frequent discussion.

8. ooans macrumors 6502

I really enjoy my iPad Pro, but using this as the only device? I don't think it would be a good experience for anyone. iOS is just too clumsy and illogical with certain things. Maybe when iOS 11 is released.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I'm guessing it's because the "real work" crowd has repeated that it can't be done.

10. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I can't even properly fill in PDFs on my iPad like I can with Preview. No way it's becoming my main computing device yet...

11. Precision Gem macrumors 6502

Precision Gem

Sure you can, use the app PDF Expert. You can both type on a PDF or use the Apple Pencil and write directly on any PDF. Great for filling PDF forms that require a signature. I use it to mark up CAD drawings that are saved as PDF files. Actually much better on the iPad than on the Mac.

12. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Yeah, because all people fill PDFs for their work.

And this.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Question re thread title: "Another guy using ipad pro as only computer"

When you say "another guy," what other guys do you know that's using iPad as their only computer?

14. David58117 macrumors 65816

He has "ripping a set of DVDs" as one of his reasons why an iPad won't work..

Enough said.

Having both an iPad pro and rMB - I think fanless computers are more so the future, and makes more sense than elevelating iOS to desktop levels.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

And I'm sure that for them it can't. I don't think that an iPad would work for me as my only computer either, but it shouldn't be that hard for people to accept that others have different needs.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

My problem is them defining real work as what they do and basically as "this list of things you can't do on an iPad". Any disagreement becomes "you just don't do real work".

17. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

My wife hasn't turned on a RealComputer™ in months. She lives on her iPad. Me, I don't see how I'd handle shuffling screens. I usually have several windows open. That's part of the appeal of the iPad Pro - my old iPad4 doesn't do split screen.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

19. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

Frederico of Macstories. He's practically the poster boy of working from his iPad. In fact, his entire website is created and updated entirety from his iPad.

https://www.macstories.net/stories/ipad-pro-review/

The author of Birchtree (a personal blog) is also ruminating about the merits of upgrading to an iPad pro next year instead of a Mac. He's not there yet, but does share a lot of information about how to get things done from an iPad, such as web development and editing podcasts.

http://www.birchtree.me/blog/my-next-mac

It's just a trickle right now, but I hope we get to see more of such "success stories" in the future.

20. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

My iPad has been my only computer since mid November when my pc died.

It's worth noting this is for personal use, my job requires Windows and obviously I use a computer for that. But for my 100% personal needs its been iOS only for the past month and a half.

At this stage in the game I don't even know if/when I'll purchase/build another computer.

21. laudern macrumors 6502a

No torrent downloader. Ios will never meet my needs.

22. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Actually there use to be a torrent downloader app. But was removed due to certain reasons.

If your trying to sync files BitTorrent sync is a good choice.

23. dsquarius90 macrumors newbie

As a fellow teacher (and recent purchaser of the iPad Pro), I've given up on using my school-issue laptop in favor of the iPad Pro kinda. By that, I mean that I'm still using my Windows laptop, but not using it. I'll explain.

I use Microsoft's excellent Remote Desktop app to remote-into my work-issue, Windows laptop to access proprietary Windows applications that have no equivalent on iOS, or to perform complex print jobs, and a few other miscellaneous tasks. This allows me to do everything that I cannot do on iOS on my iPad. (I've also got this setup on my iPhone, which works in a pinch as well) I'm not sure what the policy on BYOD device is at your school, or how much latitude you have to manipulate your machine, but this has worked out exceedingly well for me the last month. In order to be able to leave the old machine behind at the "office," though, you'll need to be sure that port-forwarding is set-up on port 3389 (I think).

Using Scannable to create PDFs of actual textbooks, or using PDF markup apps like "PDF Expert" and "LiquidText," sharing documents and collecting them via Google Drive and Dropbox, it just is a really great workflow. The Apple Pencil has become an indespinsible tool for me.

My classroom projector is also an Epson model, and they have created an app that allows me to mirror my iPad screen onto the projector screen. Even if this weren't the case, you could still use AirPlay with a 2nd/3rd gen Apple TV.

Just spit-balling, but the point is I have been able to replace my work-issue laptop with the iPad Pro, which is now my primary computer for work and at home.

24. Maukey macrumors member

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that there is a way to download torrents on an iPad. Of course it's not as convenient as it is on an OS X device, but it is doable. A quick google search should give you the info you need.

25. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Tried it, doesn't work like Preview.