Another hope from the SDK launch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peeaanuut, Mar 4, 2008.

1. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I hope that Major League Baseball will create a MLB game day app like they have on the regular web. Being able to watch the games as I do on the regular site would be great for work. Also since they took away any streaming audio, the app would need to be able to handle the game day audio too. In game stats and other info like that would be great. I would pay the 20 bucks for game day audio and even pay handsomely for the application if it were written. I miss too many games because I cant stream at work and I dont get off in time to see most of them and AM radio doesnt seem to work inside my building so no radio there either.

Just another pipe dream I am sure.

2. Alphy macrumors member

Live TV? This is entirely possible, however you're going to need real time h.264 encoding and distribution on the content provider's side.

Sling Media could probably license some of their technology to these content providers to help them with this.

Subscription models could be done a number of ways, I wouldn't anticipate this being too much of an issue.

As you can tell, I am hoping/wishing/praying Sling Media announces the release date for a Slingplayer iPhone/iPod touch client on Thursday.

3. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

Live TV would be fine, but Im kind of old fashion and love listening to games on the radio. So just a streaming audio client for MLB game day audio would do it. But the interface would be the key. A list of all games and times, maybe some in game stats or text highlights. Something a little interactive.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

5. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

Ill have to check that out at home since I cant get it to play on my handicapped work PC. Thanks for the link.

6. verks macrumors member

verks

For now try pickleview.com on the IPhone. It's the best baseball app available.

7. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

I cant seem to get it to do anything. I can only pick 2 teams and when I click on games. it doesnt do anything. bummer.

8. drb6 macrumors regular

This would be great. But won't this take up huge amounts of bandwith for AT&T, will they allow such an app, officially?

9. Alphy macrumors member

I don't see most people using this off of Edge (it's possible, but obviously not as good as Wifi). This could be a huge selling point for their 3G services, however depending on its popularity, att might underestimate the total capacity required if it really takes off. Time will tell

10. cparkphoto macrumors member

if you're just trying to watch your local team and national broadcasts just keep your fingers crossed for a slingbox client.. I know this is my numero uno hope as far as native apps go. PS i still cant believe slingbox hasnt gotten more popular than it is. The device is ridiculously cool. I was stuck working at a tradeshow during the chargers/new england game and Im a huge chargers fan. We were able to run my slingplayer off of my verizon evdo card and hook my macbook pro up to a 37 inch lcd. It was awesome! a sling client for the iphone would be awesome when at the gym or airport.

11. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

They already do gameday audio on sprint/nextel and thats what I am talking about here, audio. Not video. But yes, on edge it would be quite bad. But in my particular case, I can get several different wi-fi signals at my desk but I cannot get an AM audio signal. So streamed audio over wi-fi to my iPhone since streaming is blocked on the work POC would be the best option. It would work over G3 and that might be wait it needs, but still some sort of solution would be good.

The thinking is that, when in the car, I can listen, at home I can watch, but at work on out and about I dont have an option, or even sometimes when watching I like the radio commentary better.

12. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

Over edge I cant imagine it being very good. it would need a wi-fi or 3g signal. As far as not being popular, I have not found much of a need for it to justify the purchase of the equipment.

13. verks macrumors member

verks

it hasn't been set up for this season yet. Just wait for the regular season.