Another 'How I'll get an iPhone scheme'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iCheddar, Jun 12, 2007.

1. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Yet again, another scheme of how one might get an iPhone.

So basically, heres the rundown. I live in South Dakota, and if you look on AT&Ts coverage maps, South Dakota is not officially covered. Thus, if you try to get a plan here, they won't sell it to you.

However, I know several people who are here for summer, they've got AT&T, and they get...okay service. Email, browsing, etc., is hit or miss, but they still have kinda good voice coverage.

My question/scheme is this. Will it work if I sign up for the plan in an area that is officially covered, and just use it in SD instead? Will I incurr tons of roaming charges for only using it in SD?:D

2. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Why would you buy an iPhone for "kinda good" voice coverage and "hit or miss" email and browsing.

I'm more excited about the iPhone than I have been about just about any piece of technology, but I don't think it would be worth it at all if you couldn't use it for anything other than an iPod. (although, I definitely paid this much for an iPod a few years ago)

If I were you, I'd do one of the following:

1) get a different smartphone with a provider that covers your area
    2) get the heck out of south dakota

3. lekun macrumors regular

I believe you need a billing address in the area that you sign up for coverage. If that isn't a problem, you can get a plan in say, Oregon, and then take it SD; however if SD is roaming, AT&T can kick you off your plan for using too many minutes on roaming (its in the contract). If your equipment price was contingent on a 2 year contract, and they terminate your contract prior to the two years you MAY be obligated to return the equipment or pay the difference (between non-contract and contract price).

I have my plan and phone number in a western state, but use my phone almost exclusively in the midwest; however, I am not using roaming, so AT&T has never harassed me about it.

While the iPhone is cool, I don't think its so cool that you should be on a so-so network to have one. IMHO. It is primarily a phone, and if it sucks for that where will that leave you?