Another 'I spilt water on my Macbook Pro and it doesn't work' Thread :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rajdeepsingh7, Jan 17, 2013.

1. rajdeepsingh7 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I know that this thread has been done to the moon and back so I'll try and keep it as summarised and well informed as possible.

Victim: Macbook Pro, 15 Inch, 2010 Model, Model: MC372LL, Logic Board: A1286

Scenario: Laptop was sitting on bed, and I knocked glass of water over.
    The water spilt on the bed towards the back end/magsafe side of the Macbook.
    I quickly picked it up and turned it so that the back end pointed down and tried to get all the water out.
    At that point the Macbook turned on as I lifted the lid to get the water out, and therefore came out of sleep mode. I took the back cover off as quickly as I could and dried it.
    I let it sit there under a fan to try and get rid of any excess moisture and left it like that for the whole night. During the earlier part of the drying, there was a hissing/buzzing sound coming from the magsafe area of the Macbook, but I was't able to pinpoint exactly where it was.

Diagnosis: So this evening after letting it dry for nearly the 24 hours, I gave it another try. It didn't boot up, nor respond to any keys. I plugged the magsafe charger in and there was no light, neither green or orange; everything was dead.
    I gave the power capacity button a try, but it displayed nothing. Not even one little green light to give me hope. :(

So then I began surfing the web, near and far to get all the info I could, and diagnosis steps.
    I was able to deduce that the Magsafe charger works, as it powers my brothers 13 Inch, and does it to full capacity ( Went from orange to green after I let it charge up).

I then turned to the Macbook itself, and assumed it would be something along the lines of the magsafe board, the logic board, or the battery.
    I took everything apart with the instructions and disconnected all the components.

I wasn't able to find enough information on the testing side of everything, including testing the fuses etc. though I do have a multimeter.
    Due to that I didn't end up testing the logic board etc.
    I did give everything a good clean and dry with compressed air;
    and I know I should clean it with isopropyl alcohol, but didn't exactly know how to go about it.
    Alas, after giving it a clean with the compressed air, I rebuilt and reconnected all the components of the Macbook.

Now when I gave it a try, same thing happened; doesn't boot up, magsafe charger displays nothing BUT the battery capacity lights now light up ( this has given me hope ) and it lights up about 80% of the lights as that's probably how much the battery had charged when the incident occured last night.

I did a bit more reading and did a SMC reset, but it seems like there's no point to that as Macbook doesn't actually respond.

Now: Now I'm not to sure how to approach this all.
    I am more than happy to take it apart and test fuses etc. with a multimeter but I'm not exactly sure which ones etc.
    It might be a magsafe board fault, and I'm more than happy to take the board out of my brothers Macbook Pro and see if it works.
    Are there any other steps/diagnosis I can do on it to deduce the exact problem?
    Or should I give up and assume that it is a logic board fault ( touchwood it's not :p )

Any help would be appreciated guys!

2. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

Better you invest in a new machine I think. Even if it eventually comes to life it may give up totally someday

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Was the compressed air from a can or from a compressor?
    I hope for you the former one since cleaning with compressed air from a Compressor is NOT a good idea due to static electricity.

If you did, kiss your MBP goodbye.

You might be lucky if it's the Magsafe board, AFAIK there are small fuses on this board, but they normally blow only if there is an external over current.

4. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

do you have any form of insurance?
    if you do they might cover some of it for a new.
    Don not think you should get you hopes up.