(Another) iChat Virus?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brent0saurus, Jan 5, 2009.

1. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

So my friend claims that she has some sort of iChat virus. It's one of those things where she sends links to people without knowing it that say "Hey check out this sweet, video dude!" or something along those lines but then it brings you to this video site and says you don't have the plugin and offers a link to download it and THAT'S when you get a virus.
    So my question is is this iChat specific or AOL specific? Like is this something actually on her system or just attached to her aol instant messenger account somewhere on the internet?
    and has anyone heard of this or know how to get rid of it?

She's running leopard on an intel machine

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't see what this has to do with iChat or any other chat program for that matter: if you download something via your web browser from an unknown and untrusted source then you are putting your computer at risk.

As you, the user, have to download and install it it's not a virus either: it's not self propagating. It's a trojan.

3. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Since when do Macs get a virus?

They are 25 years years strong and never gotten sick. Duh!!

-Eric

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Link plug-in drive by on a website is an iChat virus now? :rolleyes:

Web plug-in trojan good sir.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

OS 9 had viruses.

6. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Go ahead and show me a list of viruses for os 9 that affected any Apple Software made by Apple Computer Inc.

She's running leopard on an intel machine!

I see simple viruses for os 6-7 that were more of pranks than viruses.

--Eric

7. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

i didn't say it was a virus. my question was if this was affecting ichat or was it something web based. i guess it's web based?

And, eric, there sort of has been a virus on os x, but not really. You had to install it, but i guess it tricked you into installing it. I don't remember this, but when i googled ichat virus to see if anyone had the issue my friend is having, this came up:

http://www.smmug.org/index.php?q=node/90

8. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

what's a web plug in trojan? I assume this just has to do with her account name, not ichat, which is what i figured to begin with.

9. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

And if you read the article in detail it says...This is not a virus, because a "virus" will work its way into your system, violating system security without your knowledge. This is a "trojan", short for "trojan horse", because what it does is try to trick you into letting it in to do its thing.

Again I will tell you this...Macs are based on Unix and they can not get a Virus. Macs are not made by Microsoft!

--Eric

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

One should research things prior to posting things like this so as not to make themselves look like an a$$. I'll even post a link for you so all you have to do is click once and read.

Computer virus