Another icloud/.me.com Question

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by LessO2, Oct 17, 2012.

1. LessO2 macrumors regular

I have a @me.com e-mail address right now, which I don't like the name of. It's not .me.com I don't like, it's the name before it, so some questions.....

1. Can I change the name before @me.com?
    2. Can I stake claim to the name I want with @icloud.com, or will the person with the name I want @me.com automatically get the @icloud.com address?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

1. No, I don't think you can change an @me.com username but what you can do as an alternative is create an alias that will link to your existing account. More info here.
    2. No, you can't claim any @icloud.com username because, yes, everyone who currently has an @me.com account will automatically get its @icloud.com equivalent. More info here.

3. LessO2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried several types of alias accounts, but they will not set up. Thinking it might be because they are used already, I tried a few names such as a "jdfofjef" or other random letter typing, they don't work.

Is this because the icloud.com hasn't fully rolled out yet?

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I was having the same problem recently with not being able to create an alias but I was able to finally create one just the other day. I was trying to do it from my work computer, which is a Windows PC, and it wasn't working in Internet Explorer so I installed Firefox and was able to get it done. I don't know if your situation is similar but that's what worked for me. And, like you, I too tried totally random usernames to see if it was the name I was selecting but nothing worked (until the browser change).

5. LessO2, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

LessO2 thread starter macrumors regular

Weird, I only tried it on Firefox.

Edited to add: Did your main address already convert to icloud.com or not? (Mine hasn't).