Another IE question

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by yojitani, Aug 14, 2007.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

OK saving my life at the end of the summer is a small redesign job for a site whose admins primarily use windows and whose users are more likely to be viewing from quite old computers (with old OS'). BUT they wanted the site redone using CSS hence i've been very careful using all the IE conditional comments. I tested the site on parallels with a program that allows you to test the site in IE 3.0 ~ IE 7. In all but IE 3 and 4, the site renders perfectly (IE4 won't read some background images). I should also mention in case it's important that I made the pages in PHP (because they will need to use some scripts in the near future).

Now, the problem is that whenever I send them a link to view the site, they tell me that the divs on one half of the page, which is actually a different php file, are overlapping. This was the problem I had BEFORE I wrote the stylesheet for IE, but I can't work out why on my computer everything looks fine and on theirs it's coming out wrong. Does anyone know of any settings in IE that might cause this? Would it make a difference if they were using an older OS (I'm using XP in parallels)? I've been trying all morning to replicate the same problem, but I can't.

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Do you have a link? I don't think anyone can help without a link (or screenshots) and more info.

3. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Sorry for dropping this thread like this. Things moved ahead and I got lost in the details... The problem actually was with accessibility settings. IE has this option to 'ignore font sizes specified on web pages' - kind of similar to the problem with Firefox and the minimum font size..

Incidentally, has anyone ever heard of a problem with IE that it chokes on certain stylesheet names? I spent the good part of a day trying to work out why IE was not obeying the conditional comment in the header. It was very strange. If I cut and paste the IE stylesheet into the main stylesheet, everything was the way I wanted. But if I used a separate file with conditional comments, IE wouldn't read it. Eventually, I tried renaming the main stylesheet and all was good (it was previously called style.css and I renamed it nonie-style.css).

I've heard the idea floated around before, but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to send bills to MS for lost time. I probably wasted around $400 worth on time (@$50 an hour) on the problem mentioned above that I won't be able to recoup from the client (my fault, but personal relationships are involved). I don't expect MS to pay them, but it might perhaps make them aware that developers are asking for improvements to their substandard browser.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be honest is support of IE prior to version 6 really required?

According to marketshare.hitslink.com, version 5.0 and 5.5 have a 0.4% share between them and internet explorer 4 has a 0.04% share.

EDIT: Remember that IE 6 is supported on Windows 98.