Another (I'm sure entirely dull) should I buy an ipad thread.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by emderies, Mar 24, 2012.

1. emderies macrumors newbie

I'm currently a college student who does a lot of pdf reading for my history classes. I've got a mid-2010 macbook pro that I'm getting sick of lugging around, an iphone 4 and a kindle touch. Original ipad skeptic? Most definitely. More than enough devices already? Absolutely. Up late at night thinking about how badly I want the tablet now? Yes.

I want to use my ipad to absorb content and to read at night when I don't want to have my bedroom light on in order to read my kindle. I want to be able to use it as a second screen when I'm studying (having my calendar up while planning my schedule, or reading pdfs while I take notes on my macbook).

I'm pretty much sold in my desire, but I'd like some people to tell me whether they think I'll end up getting a lot of use out of it or not. Also, 16G or 32G? I'm leaning toward 32G. Also, though I can afford the new ipad, is the extra 100 dollars for the retina display worth it if I'm not a huge gamer or anything?

Thanks for any and all advice!

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Try it out and take it back if you don't like it.

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

+1 on the "entirely dull" and probably the 50th thread on the same topic.

5. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

Buy it. You will use it more than you realize. The storage size is something only you can answer. Good luck!

6. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I've had many ipads over the last 2 years and I obsessively jumped on the 3 wagon. got 2 this week an ATT and a verizon to see which worked better in my town.
    3 is a nice tablet but the 2 was no slouch. Verizon is horrible in my area I now see, and I can get a sweet iPad 2 3G ATT for almost half what these 3s are. I sold the ATT 4G today and shipping back the Verizon 4G. both were 32gb.
    The screen is nice, but it feels heavy, not as thin and light that made the ipad2 so appealing. the 3 is overkill IMO. and 4G is spotty and unknown and inconsistent in many areas.
    I like a bargain. even apple has dropped the ipad 2 wifi to $350 now for refurbs which are excellent choices. and I love me a jailbreak.
    I've had em all, and the iPad 2 imo was more of what Jobs had in mind. the 3 is a power hungry beast that has overkill features, that I do not need, others maybe so. but you asked for ops!

7. skytears13 macrumors newbie

Would say get the new iPad if you're going to do a lot of pdf reading - I held off the iPad 2 because I didn't like the screen resolution, but with the retina display reading is a joy. I can fit an A4 pdf on the screen and read all of it without having to zoom in!

8. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Whoa, same2!

I have a mid 2010 mbp too + iPhone 4S combo. Even since the first iPad, i can tell you that it gets you reading in no time. Since you're an avid reader (or not, since its histo), i suggest the ipad 3 for the retima screen. Go for it. There's always a return option in your side of the world, unlike mine.

9. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Get the 3rd gen. It'll at least hold you over for two years. And if you're going to spend the money the screen is worth the extra $100. I'd pay a extra $300 for this screen. It's that damn good.

10. bobobenobi macrumors regular

11. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Because you're taught about the iPad in the womb? You've got to find out about its uses somehow.

I think it's great for reading PDFs, it's worth it to get something like PDF expert