Another: I'm thinking of buying thread :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by montanachad, Oct 16, 2008.

1. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

Currently on: G4 1.5GHz Mac Mini

Looking at: Dual G4 1.25 - 1.42 Power Mac and maxing out the RAM, video card, and hard drives. These used Power Macs go for around 450.00 on eBay.

I can't afford a new Mac, and don't want to pay for the newer Mini with only a Combo drive.

Or should I save my money and just wait?

Thanks.

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I would definitely wait.

The G4 is a very old processor, and most likely won't even be supported by Apple's next OS. The architecture in the new Intel processors, even the older Core Duo, far surpasses the speed you'll see in that machine, even if it is a dualie.

I would wait until this January. There's a chance Apple will either upgrade the Mac Mini or provide some other similar product to fill its spot! :)

3. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

what he said ^ ..

I'm really hoping for the Mini update this January (or before if where really lucky)

4. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

I went from a 1.25GHz MDD powermac to a C2D mini, the combo one. It's a lot faster, but I do find the lack of expansion irritating sometimes. I too would wait if I were in your position seeing as the mini hasn't been updated this side of Jesus.

5. montanachad thread starter macrumors regular

montanachad

Hmmm.. I'm thinking. Yeah I hate the lack of expansion of my Mac Mini, only two USB ports. :rolleyes:

It's time to open a special account for a computer, or save the money in a jar for January '09.

6. DaveF macrumors 6502a