Another iMac External Monitor Thread

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DOlsson, Oct 30, 2013.

1. DOlsson macrumors member

Good morning all!

I recently got one of the new late 2013 27" iMacs.

Anyway, occasionally I use this computer as an external monitor for my MacBook Air. Works great, yay me. (thunderbolt to thunderbolt)

The question is... If I had a PC with video card that had a display port, could I use an adapter to mini display port, and then connect it to my iMac via a thunderbolt cable?

I love how sharp and crisp this display is, and if I had a decent PC kicking around and I could use the iMac screen that would be great. Otherwise I need to make room for another monitor on this desk.

Thanks again!

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I think the only possible way is if your PC has a Thunderbolt output which is highly unlikely.

3. Tanax macrumors 6502a

There are quite many motherboards that has Thunderbolt. PC ultrabooks also has Thunderbolt. So I wouldn't call it "highly unlikely", just not 100% likely.

4. aggri1, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

aggri1 macrumors 6502

In response to the original question: no. There exists no converter which would allow you to take video from a DisplayPort source and feed it to the Thunderbolt (TB) iMac in Thunderbolt-video-input mode. As typod said, you need a Thunderbolt source.

If you had a pre-Thunderbolt 27" iMac, though... then you could do it (with Mini-DP cable, not TB).