Another Imac or Mac Pro Debate

Discussion in 'iMac' started by argo82, Oct 17, 2011.

1. argo82 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have been waiting to upgrade for awhile. Right now i have the first generaton macbook, and my main computer is the first aluminium imac (2.4ghz core 2 duo i think).

I would like to buy a mac pro, but really for the options I would like, it is way out of my price range. However, for the same price as an entry level mac pro, i can get a comfortably equipped mac book pro or imac. Just wondering what would be my best option, either entry level mac pro, or higher end imac or mac book pro.

My main use for purchase would be editing with AVCHD at a comfortable speed on final cut pro. Right now on my systems, even editing HDV is a chore.

Thanks
    Mark

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

A quad core iMac with SSD and 16GB of RAM would cure my longing for a Mac Pro for quite a while.

Bare Feats did a comparison on the 2011 iMacs and they are getting into Mac Pro territory with some of their benchmarks.

http://www.barefeats.com/imac11f.html

3. daftpunkstu macrumors member

yeah i'd go with a quad core 27 [​IMG] they're speeds are close to that of the mac pros and you get all your peripherals with it! dont buy the ram through apple though, get it from a 3rd party as its much cheaper

4. BigJohno macrumors 65816

If you can wait a few months for the new mac pros. Then get a refurb 2010 model. The iMac can become out of date pretty quick depending on what you are doing.