Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audio Blood

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Californication
All right, as I posted in another thread, I plan to make the switch soon. However, waiting for WWDC is killing me! That and I would love to get the free iPod touch from the BTS promo. To be honest, I don't know if I really need an i5 or i7 over a Core 2 Duo, or what the differences are anyway, so any advice would be awesome.

These are the main things I want to be able to do:
-Play a couple of games, The Sims 3 and Second Life.
-Use the Adobe suite quite often (Photoshop and Illustrator mainly) with my Wacom tablet for art and graphic design work.
-and possibly some light video editing in the future, but not right away, just an idea.

Will the core 2 duo satisfy these needs? (And now I'm floundering over the 21.5" vs. the 27"! If I choose the 27" I feel even sillier not going with the i5 as it must be better, but it is a significant cost up from the 21.5" second model.) I guess some general info and advice would help.

thomashw

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Watch this video. It basically removed the Core 2 Duo from my options.

http://www.9to5mac.com/core-i5-benchmark-video

I JUST got a 27" iMac Core i5 on Friday. I have to say... it is unbelievable. The screen is just amazing. It's by far the nicest computer I've ever seen. And it runs beautifully.

I actually got a refurb. I can honestly say I doubt any consumer has ever touched it. It literally looks like it was never opened.. not even a piece of lint or anything on it, and definitely no scratches or any usage marks.

I totally suggest getting a refurb. You save a few hundred dollars and, in my sake anyway, it's a brand new computer. You also get everything a new one would come with (wireless keyboard/magic mouse, manuals, the warranty, etc.) The keyboard, mouse, and manuals are all brand new too.

Audio Blood

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Californication
Thanks for the advice. I am looking at the refurb store now and it is tempting. I haven't done much research regarding them. I'm just worried about buying a refurb because I've had bad experience exchanging iPods (40 GB) for refurb ones. I went through 3 of them to finally get one that worked longer than a month.

I guess I'll research more on the refurb prospect! Can I still purchase a 3 year warranty that can be used exactly like a brand new iMac's warranty, ect.? Do they treat refurbs and new purchases exactly alike? Are there downsides to buying a refurb? I'm sure some of these questions can be answered by searching the forum, so I'm off to do that now.

I'm also measuring the space on my desk and the 27" might be way too big. In that case I guess I'll have to wait for WWDC and then Septemberish if Apple releases upgraded 21.5"s \:. Sorry just thinking out loud, this is a tough choice -.-.

antster94

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
London, UK
I'm holding out for the 21.5" iMac with the i5, hopefully it be announced during WWDC, if I were you I would definately wait until after WWDC and if nothing has been announced then go with the model which you can afford and/or if the 27" is too big then maybe look at a 24" refurb?

mattnotis

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
I'm holding out for the 21.5" iMac with the i5, hopefully it be announced during WWDC, if I were you I would definately wait until after WWDC and if nothing has been announced then go with the model which you can afford and/or if the 27" is too big then maybe look at a 24" refurb?

That's what I'm doing as well. Argh! I hope they announce them in a few days! I'm getting tired of this old thing.

thomashw

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
I guess I'll research more on the refurb prospect! Can I still purchase a 3 year warranty that can be used exactly like a brand new iMac's warranty, ect.? Do they treat refurbs and new purchases exactly alike? Are there downsides to buying a refurb? I'm sure some of these questions can be answered by searching the forum, so I'm off to do that now.
Yep the warranty is exactly the same as buying a new one. Actually, everything is the same. I actually haven't found a difference with respect to anything.

robsaskibum

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Watch this video. It basically removed the Core 2 Duo from my options.

http://www.9to5mac.com/core-i5-benchmark-video

I JUST got a 27" iMac Core i5 on Friday. I have to say... it is unbelievable. The screen is just amazing. It's by far the nicest computer I've ever seen. And it runs beautifully.

I actually got a refurb. I can honestly say I doubt any consumer has ever touched it. It literally looks like it was never opened.. not even a piece of lint or anything on it, and definitely no scratches or any usage marks.

I totally suggest getting a refurb. You save a few hundred dollars and, in my sake anyway, it's a brand new computer. You also get everything a new one would come with (wireless keyboard/magic mouse, manuals, the warranty, etc.) The keyboard, mouse, and manuals are all brand new too.

Just FYI, when apple says refurbished, it's hardly the same refurbished that other companies do. It's always new casing, new glass, new ram, new hard drive, etc. There is literally only certain parts (I.e. Logic board) that ever get re-used. It's the same with the iPhones too. That AND you get the same warranty. It's a great deal for sure. But when you were saying that it looks like no customer ever touched it, you're right. It's always that way with apple refurbished.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Just FYI, when apple says refurbished, it's hardly the same refurbished that other companies do. It's always new casing, new glass, new ram, new hard drive, etc. There is literally only certain parts (I.e. Logic board) that ever get re-used. It's the same with the iPhones too. That AND you get the same warranty. It's a great deal for sure. But when you were saying that it looks like no customer ever touched it, you're right. It's always that way with apple refurbished.

Which is why the prices in the refurb store are not all that good. The prices are higher usually the the edu prices, so what's the point? They are charging alot for something that does not have a real "new computer" smell.

thomashw

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Which is why the prices in the refurb store are not all that good. The prices are higher usually the the edu prices, so what's the point? They are charging alot for something that does not have a real "new computer" smell.
I saved $200 off of education prices. That's 10% off. How is that "not good"?

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I saved $200 off of education prices. That's 10% off. How is that "not good"?

Right now they are dumping C2D MBP's. Savings are higher on closeouts than edu if that's what you want. If you want the current models that are refurb, your savings are about the edu pricing or less. Yes there are better deals at the moment for the old stuff. But then you can find these older units brand new at some great pricing on the web too. My point is, if you follow pricing over a period of time, on like systems, you will not get $200 more off than edu pricing in the refurb store.

thomashw

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Right now they are dumping C2D MBP's. Savings are higher on closeouts than edu if that's what you want. If you want the current models that are refurb, your savings are about the edu pricing or less. Yes there are better deals at the moment for the old stuff. But then you can find these older units brand new at some great pricing on the web too. My point is, if you follow pricing over a period of time, on like systems, you will not get $200 more off than edu pricing in the refurb store.
You don't get make sense. I just saved $200 off of edu pricing on a current model 27" core i5 iMac refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.