Another iMac vs mini debate

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mklock1980, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Mklock1980 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, i have decided to buy myself my first Mac. I have built many PCs in my time but just prefer the Mac os .

I have come to a choice of two.

IMac 27 i5 2.9 with 1tb fusion drive 8gb ram , apple care

Or

Mac mini i7 with 256gb SD plus fitting a standard HDD for storage + apple keyboard and magic mouse + 27 inch lg or dell screen + apple care.

Pricing wise there is a gap but its not massive.

Fundamentally I will use the machine as a main hub for photographs (amateur DSLR), internet and managing itunes. I also want to load parrallels to run windows as I need to run some SQL and is like to play the odd game I already own for PC.

Bearing in mind I have nothing at the moment, which should be the top contender?

Thanks

Mike

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I assume the iMac also comes with a keyboard and mouse?

I dont think the mini has a dGPU but the iMac does, so depending on the graphics of the game you play, this could be a factor.

You say the mac mini has an SSD and a HDD? I didnt think it had 2 slots for that, but I could be wrong

I would personally prefer the iMac. It looks gorgeous, and Id rather have an all-in-one rather than a desktop + monitor; but thats just me

3. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

It's basically personal preference, either will do the job. I recently had a similar decision to make and went with the Mini.

For your needs I'd go with the Mini as well, drop the 256GB SSD and get the 1TB Fusion drive and buy some RAM to install yourself with the savings. The Fusion drive won't be noticeably slower than the SSD and it'll give you way more space. Also make sure that if you're getting a big display that it's capable of high resolution and not just 1080p.

4. KaraH macrumors 6502

Bear in mind the mini does not have a discrete GPU. You listed games and they would be lousy on a mini if they are rendering with any complexity.

5. Mklock1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry i should have been more specific on the games front. I was typing on my mobile.

The games i was referring to was Command and Conquer Generals, dungeon keeper , that sort of thing. Both getting old now (think 1998) but something i miss messing around with. I dont see those as particularly taxing for any GPU.

I think what it comes down to really is, im worried about spending too much but dont want to compromise on performance. Reason i quoted the SSD in the Mini was because in my opinion thats less messy than a fusion drive and is an affordable option. Id take the SSD in the imac if it werent so overpriced. The fusion scares me a little but i wouldn't buy a standard disk now. Whatever i purchase i want it to boot quickly.

6. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I waited a good eight months after the Fusion drives came out to make sure they seemed pretty stable and there's been no reported issues. I'm very happy with mine so far.

Not sure on your "messy" comment but it's not much different than the hybrid drives available from Seagate or other manufacturers, it just manages the data a bit differently. Boot time isn't an issue.

7. willieva macrumors 6502

If you get a mini, in a few years if you want to upgrade the computer or screen it will be a lot cheaper than if you get an imac now. And an old mini is easier to find use for around the house than an old imac.