Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
So maybe I'm crazy, but seems like after my recent update my phone is a little different.

1. After this update, I had to re-enter all my visual voicemail passwords on 2 iPhone4 models and 1 3GS model. Don't remember doing this with previous updates. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. When I call someone, the 1st or 2nd ring, in the ear piece, ring fairly loud but then subsequent rings return to normal volume levels.

Anyone else have these issues?

Cosmo

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I've seen the first issue with several updates - I have not noticed the 2nd issue.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
1. After this update, I had to re-enter all my visual voicemail passwords on 2 iPhone4 models and 1 3GS model. Don't remember doing this with previous updates. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, I have had this happen after every major update on iPhone classic and iPhone 3GS.

2. When I call someone, the 1st or 2nd ring, in the ear piece, ring fairly loud but then subsequent rings return to normal volume levels.

Nope.

Cosmo

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Interesting, I don't remember needing to re-input my visual voicemail password before...of course, I have slept since then and drink heavily at times!

The ringer thing is however a mystery. When I call someone, and place the phone to my ear, the 1st and sometimes 2nd ring will be loud (not overly loud, just louder than normal), then subsequent rings return to normal levels. It's almost as if the sound level is tied with the proximity sensor and takes a second to realize the phone is close to my face and now must tone it down.

Weird nobody else is having this issue.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
So maybe I'm crazy, but seems like after my recent update my phone is a little different.

Cosmo

1 - Had to do this a few days ago. Not sure what caused it but it's not a big deal. Just enter my pin and I'm done.

2 - I want to say that volume thing for the first ring has always been like that. Maybe it started with the 3GS? I am not sure. However, I know exactly what you're talking about. The first ring (more noticeable on speakerphone) sounds like crap. It's loud and crackly. After that first ring, it goes down in volume and sounds much better/normal. Don't know what it is. Perhaps it's the location (signal) of the phone? Unknown. Rest assured you're not the only one. :)

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR

Cosmo

I'm having the same thing about the ring volume... the first ring is louder

Chunkycat

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
1. Yes, I had to re-enter my password after this update.
2. The ringer sounds fine on my iPhone, the same it was before 4.2.1, no volume changes.:)

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008

Cosmo

When you say your first ring is louder, do you mean it sounds like your phone is on speaker and your holding it up to your ear and then it goes back to normal sound? Because I've had that problem for as long as I could remember. I had it on my 3G and I just learned to deal with it. I just thought it was AT&T's shotty network. To be honest, I have never heard of anyone else with this issue, I thought I was the only one.

bid2ask77

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
New York
I had to re-enter all my visual voicemail passwords but i did a full restore and i had to do it on all my phone when i did that so i thought it was normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.