Another iOS 7 useless app: iPhoto

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by RightMACatU, Nov 30, 2013.

1. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

As I discover iOS7 with my rMini iPad I keep getting more and more disappointed. After the no-useful-features of Numbers/Pages/Keynote, the visually impaired sized graphics in Music, the Videos without name, description or any way of sorting, I just discovered the useless iPhoto app.

iOS iPhoto should be the ultimate tool to organize your 1000s of pictures in front of the tv or while sucking on your favourite java brew. But nooooo, sorry, we can't rename, delete and re-sync your changes back to OS X. You need to be at your computer to do these "revolutionary" tasks.

iOS is at its 7th version and the apps are telling me that I'm still using a consumption device with little to no productive features. I moved from an Android Tab 3 to realize that iOS needs a wake-up call.

Anyone else share my frustrations?

2. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I hope to see iPhoto library syncing in iCloud soon

3. Ashka, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Tap the question mark on the top.
    Then Tap the 'Get more info' half way down on the right.
    Tap the ooo bottom right for the delete option.

P.S. Numbers & Pages etc work very well on iPads and Macs.
    Reading the instructions makes a difference.

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Bought it when it first came out and haven't used it since.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

likewise... i made the mistake of buying it for like $6 and deleted it shortly after.

i thought that paying this much the app would at least let me organise my photo's events and/or albums but for apple, there are some things not even money can buy.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I pretty much only use it as a fancy photo browser/viewer. I like that it lets you see the date when photos were taken, and also peek at the EXIF information.

But it's not actually really useful for much beyond that. It's also a bit slow and clunky at times.

Apple can do so much better; I must wonder why they don't.

7. RightMACatU thread starter macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

For some reason iOS7 iPhoto shows me (sorts) about 30 photos with a July 1975 date :confused:

And the kicker... none of the EXIF info, file date, or OS X iPhoto date show 1975 information. They are all showing 201x information as expected.

Another kicker... the iOS Photo app displays these 30 rebels correctly... WTF!

8. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Totally agree, OP.

iPhoto on my MBP is a hot mess. Wish I could organise it on the iPad, but nooooooo.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Same reason why I use it :D

10. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

As long as iPad sells like a hot cake... Apple does not need wake up call... iOS has being like this for past 7 years, iPhone and iPad still the king of the hill by many standard...Majority of people does not need many fancy and powerful features associate with productivity, they more likely using iOS devices as consumption device.

Apple claiming we are on Post-PC era, but when it comes to iOS, it is far away from Post-PC era...

11. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Same here. Lol.

12. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

iPhoto for iOS is very difficult to use. Snapseed is much much better.

13. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

True, it's a Post-PC era in terms of consumption, but not managing and production.

14. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

It sometimes looks to me as if Apple is pulling the "Consumption device" card on too many occasions. They'd better add a little production tools in their apps.
    So yes OP, I do share yor frustration.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I do not mind the limitations of iPhoto on iOS. Honestly, did anyone really think it would be a heavy-duty image editor given the hardware?

16. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

lol I use ONE thing in iPhoto, the Lighten brush. Thats it.

----------

Thats not the frustration I think most people have.

Most people want to be able to attach to their OSX iPhoto library to at least browse and organize. Personally, I dont think this app should even be called iPhoto.

17. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

This.

iPhoto works great as a photo browser and for doing light edits but it really should integrate with the desktop version as Apple's iWork apps do.

18. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I was really hoping for iPhoto (heck even an Aperture app) that was able to link to the computer library (like Home Sharing in iTunes) and allow me to rate, tag, delete, flag my photos "on the couch". I could edit if I wanted or just do the final editing on the computer.

That would get me to buy a new iPad sooner so i could have one specifically for me and that tasks and then one as a family iPad...rather than my current 1-iPad-for-all.

19. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I completely disagree.

I use iPhoto more than any other app on my phone. Know how to use it, and it offers fantastic controls to make your photos more beautiful. The brushes alone are wonderful, and the usefulness of them is unheard of in such a cheap app. The native iPhoto app on Mac can't even brush in saturation, soften, sharpen, etc. And it can even detect edges. This is the type of functionality people pay a lot of money for in lightroom, and iPhoto gives you a washed down, simplified, albeit not as powerful version for a couple bucks.

And you're complaining about renaming photos?

20. mcfly88 macrumors 6502

Yea, I could love without it as well.. have only used it a few times. In my opinion Garageband is the most useless for iOS though. iMovie is prob the most useful, I use it the most anyway.

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am sure Apple understands your frustration and pain but you should be grateful that they did not charge you for those lousy apps. Apple is giving away less perfect apps for free anyway. :apple:

22. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

I think he's complaining about the fact that it's missing functionality. Like not being able to connect to his home iPhoto library. Makes sense. Name the app something other than iPhoto and this is a moot point.

Also, where does it detect edges? Can't seem to find that functionality in the iPhone app. That would be extremely useful.

23. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I don't see how it really makes sense to connect it to you home iPhoto library.

My home iPhoto library is 10s of thousands of photos. On my iPhone, I just want it to help me organize and edit my camera roll, which I have trouble keeping under 3,000.

Anything I want shared between the two I make an iCloud album that's only shared with myself. If you put everything on your iPhone into organized iCloud libraries, then your iPhoto on your phone and on your Mac would be essentially in sync.

As for detect edges, after you've selected a brush, hit the button to the right of the brush. It's a striped circle behind a solid triangle.

As mentioned above hitting the question mark at the top of the screen really helps you learn about iPhotos features, that's where I learned that the app can detect edges, which is great.

24. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Yeah we are in a post PC era hence there isn't much of a need for organizing on your home computer. Sharing photos happens on your phone or iPad not by passing a laptop around. Thats just the way it is for most people now that they have iPhones and iPads. Plus Photo Stream saves all your edits once you save a photo in iPhoto. My iPad is my main photo consumption device now for 3 years.

Not sure why all of these people are even using iPhoto on the Mac any more. The iOS 7 version is much more powerful for editing. Otherwise Aperture or Lightroom on the desktop is the way to go anyway. Once again it syncs photo stream.

I feel like this is an issue of people not being able to figure out a workflow for their liking, not so much a problem with the app itself. Professionals are even starting to use iPad for some of their work