Another iPhone 1.1.1 theory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejrizo, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

you guys ever think that we might not get the 1.1.1 update until the Euro countries get the phone in November?

i think we might get the iTunes music store with maybe a 1.1 update but not the 1.1.1 update... i think the 1.1.1 will be entirely new update that keeps the phone locked out of the hacks...

this way the UK carriers can have their exclusive phone without everyone knowing how to hack them right when they come out... this way you get the ones on the fence about switching to switch and activate and by that time the hackers figure out a break to it but by then it could be maybe about a month or so enough time to lock people in at the begining

why else will there be a 1.1.1 without a 1.1 first? kinda doesnt make sense...

anyway something to think about
    :apple:

2. sanford macrumors 65816

Definitively, at the iPod revision announcement 5th September, Jobs said iPhone would get the WiFi Music Store "later this month". So whereas bugs or problems might delay it, they certainly knew what they were up to as to EU iPhone on-sale dates when he said that.

So, any other features, sure, they may not hit until 9th November. But barring some kind of technical issues, I think we'll get at least the WiFi Store in an update by the end of September. Sure, they could then follow that up with another dot release to add the other stuff we've seen, like video-out and the ability to turn EDGE roaming off.

Just practically speaking, I doubt they'll want to blow iPhone WiFi Store revenue that long, either. When the iPhone gets the WiFi Store, they're going to get an artificial but nice iTunes sales bump from people using it a lot the first few days or week. Plus the Starbucks tie-in is supposed to go live in the States 2nd Oct., and you know Starbucks wants the iPhones in on that.

3. GTiPhone macrumors regular

If not in the next few hours then definitely by the 28th we'll get 1.1 with the wifi music store. 1.1.1 will follow shortly after with international key board and probably an unlock killer.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Basically, as said above, we have 8 days to get a iPhone before we force another $100 credit cause we can't have a iTunes store like promised.

5. ejrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

well im not disputing the fact that we will get the itunes store... but that doesnt necessarily mean we are getting 1.1.1

it can be just adding itunes wifi store or it can be 1.1 which includes itunes wifi is my guess.. then later the other features will come with an unlock killer or whatever so the hackers dont have a head start on the new firmware that the euro phones will have to lock them in during the release period.

6. projectle macrumors 6502

As surprising as it may sound, there is a good chance that they will just look at the build quality, determine that it is not ready for prime-time and release a dot release prior to a general availability build.

It is odd, but it does happen.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I expect 1.1.1 because the iPod Touch is at 1.1 and they both use the same code base. If 1.1 then they could have release it at the same time as iPod Touch.

8. adamyoshida macrumors regular

I lean towards 1.1.1 being a developer build for the UK iPhone - perhaps a region-specific build.

Indeed, in what might be a bit of good news, it seems possible to me that they might link different revisions of the iPhone Firmware to a different national account. IE - If you have a US account, you get 1.1, if you have a UK account you get 1.1.1, if you have a French account you get 1.1.2, etc.

9. sanford macrumors 65816

Could be in feature set, but it wouldn't be called 1.1.1. Would be something like da.f1.1e4. It's very rare developers use internal revision numbers indistinguishable in format from external revision numbers. Version control is actually more of a hassle than you might think.