Another iPhone "rival" coming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ms2kj, Feb 27, 2008.

1. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'm afraid I have to take this with a pinch of salt:

1) You need a previous rival before you can have another rival
    2) Coming? You move to where the puck is at. Everyone and his dog has new product in the pipeline, but it's a concept till it's out and selling. Otherwise it'd be fair to say, that Apple's next gen iPhone already kicks ass on this "rival".

2. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Seems like a lot of gadget companies love car makes, acer and ferrari now asus and lamborghini.

ChrisN

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Instant non-rival...
    Almost 2x the cost of the 16 gig iPhone, and no specs beyound the 520mhz cpu.

4. ebutka macrumors regular

ebutka

there have been some thing on engadget about that. i love asus though!

5. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Can anyone think of an occasion where a special edition car branded device has become very popular? They are generally too taste specific.

6. Archie- macrumors regular

There are plenty of iPhone rivals. It seems you would only consider an iPhone clone to be an iPhone rival.

Most iPhone rivals already have 3G and a SDK, not to mention MMS. Skating where the Apple puck is hopefully going eventually.

7. rayward macrumors 68000

Just doing it much less gracefully.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

He didn't say rival. He said "rival."

The iPhone's had lots of "rivals" at this point!

9. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

4 words:

It's running Windows Mobile

Game over. Thanks for playing.

ASUS does make some nice mobos though.

10. Archie- macrumors regular

14 million people in the last 6 months thought differently. They did not have such a good browser, but were able to do GPS navigation, exchange push email and use their phones to tether via 3G.

A real iPhone-like rival would be from another motherboard maker, Gigabyte MS808.

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=vid...s808-windows-mobile-phone&category=07-reviews

[​IMG]

With 3G, GPS, VGA (480x640) screen and Digital TV built-in, plus the ability to use the newer really nice mobile browsers like Opera 9.5 (that uses the same rendering engine as the desktop browser), the MS808 is likely to have features and functionality the iPhone 2 can only dream of.

While the iPhone can be lauded in general for its user experience, its of little consequence when it cant do what you want to do, such as receive a video clip via bluetooth from a friend.

11. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Good points. The iPhone is a great starting point, but unless Apple kicks it into high gear, the iPhone will be last years model. I mean, come on, 3 or 4 updates, and they can't even get something simple like copy and paste in the system?

These things come out and have GPS and 3G, they (not necessarily THIS phone, but real iPhone rivals), they will wipe the floor with todays iPhone. Apple needs to get serious and get a third generation out while these guys are still trying to get a bug-free second G running. So far, Apple does NOT look like they can.

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Shrug, it's already almost March. That's what -- 4 months and it will be a year since I bought my iPhone. Still nothing else out there I would rather own instead.

Every so often someone posts up the latest "iPhone killer" or "iPhone rival" or some such and one by one, these challengers demonstrate that they lack the ability to knock the iPhone off its perch.

I doubt copy and paste is going to change that.

13. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

why is a site taking pre orders when it hasnt been announced? how can u place an order on something that doesnt exist

14. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Yeah, but that is not exactly what I meant. First, none of these rivals is really out yet. But when they do... there will be old iPhone, with it's EDGE, and it's "triangulation via cel towers" GPS and it will be last years toy. The bright, shinny new 3G, REAL GPS phone is gonna grab a lot of people, even if it is not quite perfect.

My point with cut and paste is that Apple is slow do do ANYTHING to improve the iPhone... and CnP is a good example because it is so simple to add... and yet ignored by Apple. There has been NOTHING of consequence added to the iPhone in 8 months. It is stagnant. Cut and paste is an example- there are a LOT of things customers are asking for... MMS, cut and paste, and what do we have to show for it? International keyboards! (which, I might suggest, was mainly so Apple could sell these in Europe, NOT because of user requests).

Apple has 100% dropped the ball on updaing this phone. Sure, it is good, but it won't be long until something else is shinier, even if it does not quite work as "intuitively".

15. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

"First, none of these rivals is really out yet."

Exactly.

If and when they come, I'm sure you will see a vigorous response.

Apple threw down the gauntlet and it is the rest of the mobile phone industry that is scrambling to respond.

16. grumbler macrumors member

Oh no! (company) has announced the (product) with (features) that are (this many)x better than Apple's (whatever) even though (gaping flaw that the report omits)! Panic!

17. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

My previous phone (Audiovox Windows smartphone) did many things I wanted a phone to do, however, it did them so poorly that I rarely bothered.

18. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

So what you are saying is Apple is Fat and Lazy, until they are forced to respond? I would agree.

I think the history is that Apple is also SLOW to respond. Remember when Core 2 Duos were new and all the rage? As I recall, HP, Dell, Levono and probably others ALL has C2D machines out well before Apple.

19. Archie- macrumors regular

Actually a phone like the various N95 updates would seem to be responding very well to the iPhone threat, and also easily matching iPhone sales. Just because you personally would not buy it does not mean its not taking sales away from the iPhone. The LG Viewty (an iPhone-like phone) sold more in Europe over the same period (according to this site), because it delivers where the iPhone does not, such as a good video camera. Apple is clearly the ones having to play catch up and bringing out their Viewty rival as soon as possible.

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

As long as they continue to compare...

our beloved iPhone to "another rival" (I agree with the earlier poster about needing to have a "rival" in order to consider using "another rival"), it strengthens the case that everyone is playing "catch-up" and reacting to Apple's innovative approach to their "iPhone LINE" (yes, we have the 4GB, 8GB & now the the 16GB). :cool:

21. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

22. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

That's fine. Wake me up when people start lining up for their Viewtys.

And why isn't there a www.LGrumors.com? Right, because no one really cares. 310,000 units sold notwithstanding.

N95s are kinda cool, but they are almost in a different market although I am sure there is some overlap there.

23. HoverPizza macrumors newbie

You could have said the exact same thing when the iphone first came out...

24. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Not at all. The iPhone was the first of its kind. They didn't label it the "next N95 killer," it was not in response to something else. The iPhone came out, revolutionized the industry and now everyone is clamouring to copy it.