Another iPhoto Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zwhaler, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I got my new Nikon D40 in the mail yesterday (love it, absolutely recommended) and with iPhoto, I must import all of my photos on my camera without being able to view them, or pick and choose which ones I want. I need to be able to do that, so I installed the software that came with the camera, "Picture Project".

Now what I am trying to accomplish is to be able to pick and choose the photos I want to import using Picture Perfect, but when I finally import them I want them to go straight to my iPhoto library. I found the data folder in the iPhoto Library folder and saw three folders, 2005, 2006, and 2007. I made a fourth folder called "Nikon D40" that I chose in Picture perfect to have all the photos imported using Picture Project to go to that folder.

Confusing, I know. But even if they are in the folder, when I open iPhoto, the photos are not in my library and I just want to know how I can get them in there :) thank you I know that was confusing lol

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No no no no no! Don't play around in iPhoto's database. Drag that folder out of the iPhoto Library for now because you'll have to import the photos with iPhoto directly, rather than manually cram them into the database. If you have Tiger, you might be able to set something up with Automator to get the photos imported.

3. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Ok, I can manage that, but is there a way to send or export them to iPhoto (from Picture Project) at a later date if I begin importing my newly taken pictures into the Picture Project library? Or do I have to import them to iPhoto, or else.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't used Picture Project and don't know how its database works, but importing photos to iPhoto copies across the images in a similar fashion to iTunes copying music (by default). Therefore, you could have the two running side-by-side with different versions of the same photos, if you like. I'm not quite sure what you're wanting to do now though. You don't have to use iPhoto if you don't want to.

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Once you save your pictures into a folder, you can just drag and dop that folder onto iPhoto. It would copy them into its library.

If you don't want the pictures duplicated, then somewhere in Preferences you need to check the box that says "do not copy files when added to library" or something to that effect. However, if you do that make sure you don't move or rename the originals, as iPhoto may not be able to find them afterwards.

6. jng macrumors 65816

jng

7. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

If you leave their default tags, and try to import a whole folder that keeps growing (so you're importing the same folder with some of the same pictures already in iPhoto and some that are new to iPhoto) it was ask you if you want to import the duplicates.

8. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

If you're going to be shooting a lot of images, have you had a look at Aperture/Lightroom?

9. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Here's another way of working...

Don't have any import app open when you mount your camera card, just drag the folder onto your desktop, now select all the shots in the folder and drag them all into Preview where they will open in a single window with all the shots in the draw. This is a good way to sort the crap before importing.

In Preview you can drag the icons in the drawer off and they'll disappear but not delete the original shot from the folder, then you can reorder the thumbnails however you like to compare shots. If you Cmd+delete on the drawer icon then you will trash the shot, which I do first on all the obvious crap . This way you can quickly whittle out the rubbish. Then just import the cleaned up folder.