Another iPod Touch cracked screen thread, my wifes bday gift...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mtbdudex, Jan 9, 2010.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I got my wife a 2nd Gen iPod Touch exactly 1 year ago, she and the kids love it.

Just 3 weeks ago (right before xmas), it dropped from the kitchen table and fell on a corner, frickin screen (glass) is cracked but its still working. We bought a clear cover so the glass would not come lose/out.
    I her a bought a protective case.
    Here is it off to show cracks:
    [​IMG]

And on to show works but still visible obviously.
    [​IMG]

Lesson for others:
    Get a protective case ASAP, small drop at wrong angle and you'll crack yours as well.

I've seen the other posts here and links to buying a new glass.
    I replaced my iPod Video glass about 3 years ago and was able to do that, so I'm seiously considering fixing this.

Looks about $75 total to fix this, worthwhile I feel.
    Have others tried to fix their broken glass and run into any un-seen issues??
    Thx.

2. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Some of the glass replacement options i have seen cost as much as a refurb. If you can find a cheap one that you can afford then by all means take advantage

:apple:

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You might as well sell this for parts and buy a refurbished one. An 8GB iPod touch 2G costs about $150.

4. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

You can repair it yourself for under $30 (New Glass Digitizer $16.48, Beizel $11.58 both with free shipping and opening tools included) from ebay. I did a full glass digitizer, lcd and battery replacement around 6 months ago and have had no problems. I posted a brief outline of the repair HERE

5. johnnyhow macrumors regular

It's so disappointing when things like this happen. I'm not sure if a cover would prevent this though, unless it was seriously huge.

Apple NEED to build into this a wrist strap hole, that way drop inicdents will reduce.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

lol. for some reason i felt almost retarded when i pictured a strap hole ipod touch :D

7. johnnyhow macrumors regular

That may be true, but I'd rather a slightly less pretty apple product for the added security.

8. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Umm, not wishing to be annoying but how would a wrist strap prevent it dropping from the kitchen table? Besides, how many people would ever use such a thing? Anyone that wants a strap can simply buy a case that has one.

9. mtbdudex, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

11 months later......price back then seemed too high to fix......we put this laminated clear screen protector on and it worked fine for last 9 months, then the screen crack grew so I'm now ordering a $20 total kit and DIY fix.

There are so many kits on the market now compared to when this originally broke, much cheaper now. This fix will tie over the iPod touch until Verizon releases their 4G iPhone, which we will buy and give the iTouch to our kids.

Now I have to buy the "best" one....

Amazon:
    Amazon: Apple ipod Touch 2nd Gen Digitizer + Chassis Bezel + Pre Assembled
    [​IMG]

eBay:
    eBay: IPOD TOUCH 2ND GEN REPLACEMENT GLASS SCREEN + DIGITIZER
    4-PIECE KIT

[​IMG]

similiar
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ipod-touch-2nd-gen-Digitizer-Screen-home-button-frame-/120549566781?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item1c1150693d

edit;
    I just ordered mine from this link...US $14.48 total including shipping....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ipod-touch-2nd-gen-Digitizer-Screen-home-button-frame-/120549566781?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item1c1150693d

10. mtbdudex, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Got my kit yesterday, spent 3 minutes watching these YouTube videos, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFt88K0XHvY.

My kit came with 2 plastic screwdrivers, these are a little weak, I ended up using a small flat steel screwdriver and gently working the glass off the bezel.

Watch out for those fingerprints on viewable surfaces.

Attaching the flexible connector, just be careful, the plastic screwdriver backside worked good for pushing that securely in place.

Tested before pushing the new glass into place, worked, gently push the new glass back into place, done!

Total time took 12-14 minutes.

Total spent $14.48, now I have to go to ebay and rate the company.

Don't be afraid to fix these, very easy to do, just go slow and you'll be fine.

11. gakkuri macrumors newbie

I had an itouch 1st generation for 4 yrs and have dropped more times than I can remember. Got new itouch for the 5ios screw job and dropped it from distance of two feet. Glass shattered! APPLE SAYS SORRY!!! BOUGHT ANDRIOD AFTER. SALES GUY WHACKS WITH KEY TO MY HORROR! STEVE JOBS DIES AND NOW APPLE STEALS AND LIES....SORRY I WILL SPEND MY DOLLARS WHERE QUALITY IS!!!! MISS STEVE JOBS WHO ALWAYS PICKED UP APPLE AND RESTORED ITS NAME. I THINK ITS RAN BY EX BANKING CEOS

----------

Ha ha

12. tehpea macrumors member

You might want to sell it for parts and get a 4th Gen refurb from Apple.

I had a friend who dropped his 4th gen touch face down onto a hard brick floor from shoulder height, nothing happened. But, after he dropped it from waist height at a strange angle, the glass completely shattered... He had to pay $100 to Apple for a replacement iPod touch. I've dropped mine face down once from shoulder height but nothing happened, probably because I had a protective case.