another ipod touch screen scratch!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Elppa14, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Elppa14 macrumors newbie

ok, so on christmas day i got an ipod touch 2nd gen from my parents. but one hour later, i dropped it from my bed on accident. now i have a one and a half inch scratch on the screen that looks really UGLY! i want to return it to the store without them finding out about it, because i know they wont take it back because of the scratch. i need an excuse to return it without them noticing the scratch. i was thinking that if i tell them my computer wont recognize it, they would exchange it. I called them today and the said they would check the ipod before exchanging it. that means they would open it and see it. that means they would more then likely see it. what should i do!!!?!?!

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

We won't help you scam anyone here. Sorry, but you need to learn to live with your mistakes and not try to pass the problems onto someone else.

3. Elppa14 thread starter macrumors newbie

im not scamming anyone i am just looking for a way to make the scratch less noticeable

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Why would you try scam Apple out of giving you a new iPod Touch after you dropped it by not being careful. It's your fault you got the scratch and you should have to live with it. I hope you can learn from your mistakes though and look at a screen cover and case. Don't expect a master scam plan (or any scam plan) from anyone here.

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

And then find an excuse to take it back and get a new one with out a scratch. The scratch resistant film will make the scratch less noticeable but the Apple employee will take it off before exchanging it.

6. Elppa14 thread starter macrumors newbie

it wasn't bought at an apple store it was bought at toysrsus

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

They will still tell you you have to take it to an Apple store or send it into AppleCare. It's an Apple product, right? Your still scamming Apple!

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

You're trying to exchange a damaged product for a new one while lying about a defect which doesn't exist. Sounds a lot like a scam to me.

9. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

If he hasn't figured out that we are trying to say that it's wrong, then I don't know how he plans on scamming a multi-billion dollar company. :confused:

10. Elppa14 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok then how much will it cost me to get it repaired through apple care?

11. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

You'd be better off selling it and buying a new one. I can't remember the exact numbers but from what I remember getting the screen replaced costs a small fortune.

12. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Actually, you are.

It's part of life dude. You make mistakes and have to live with them.

It's not much different than someone getting a new car for graduation and wrecking it the first day and trying to take it back for a new one. (Only in this case you have insurance and your insurance rates go up). In the case of your Touch, you don't have insurance that covers damage caused by yourself and your rate goes up by you having to pay for the repair or living with the scratch.

Live and learn. Be more careful with expensive gifts.

13. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

as for making the scratch less noticable, there are some threads here where that kind of thing is discussed. Just search the word "scratch" and hopefully you'll find something that helps.

I think it's safe to say we all feel your pain and hope the best for you, but for the most part here you won't gain sympathy when you mention you want to "cover up" your mistake by having Apple give you a new Touch when the product itself is not defective.

Good luck in either making the scratch less noticable or perhaps working somehow to raise the cash to get the glass replaced.

14. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

A half inch scratch isn't that bad! The device it still fully functional, right? Sure it is! Sure I wish that I could go and get a new iPhone 3G because it got a few scratches on it before I got smart enough to GET A CASE AND SCREEN COVER!!! but did I try to scam Apple, no. Just learn from your mistakes and get a case and screen cover. The glass is a lot harder to scratch then the aluminum back so be warned! I like/have the Contour Flick case which I think is available for iPod Touch. and I have have the antiglare film set for iPhone which is also available for iPod Touch. The film set comes with two covers so if you have friends (;)) share, or keep to yourself and don't say anything!

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Well if you tell them your computer won't recognise it, naturally the first thing they'll do is hook it up to one of their computers to see if it will work there.

16. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Come on you guys give him a break! If it was YOUR new iPod Touch that YOU had for about an hour on Christmas Day YOU would be pissed and feel horrible too and would want a new one. I could see if they had it for a few months and then got a scratch but right after opening it and BAM new Touch is ruined would make me feel awful. I am not saying he should scam them into getting a brand new one but he could restore it put it back in the package with the sticker menu overlay and seal it back on the top and return it for a refund or store credit, and buy it later or at best buy, That would completely suck if that happened to me and I would want a new touch from a MULTI - BILLION DOLLAR company who exchanges these for ridiculous defects that people make up anyway

17. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Think of this as a valuable lesson in life - "OWN IT"

18. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

No I wouldn't. Would I feel upset? Mad at myself for being so clumsy? Wish I had been more careful? Yes, yes, yes. But by no means would I try to scam someone else to cover up my mistake, or think I somehow deserve a new iPod because I messed up. It doesn't matter if I dropped it a few months in or the second I got it, it's my fault and nobody else's, and Apple should not have to pay for its customers' clumsiness. What you're suggesting is scam. It's no different than buying a vase, crack it, superglue it and return it to the store for a brand new one. Don't tell me returning a product that you broke while saying that it is still brand new isn't scam. It doesn't matter if other people try to scam Apple as well. Many other people do horrible things. There are other people who set buildings on fire, who rape little girls, who stab people to death. Doesn't make it okay for you to do it too.

To the OP, a new screen costs around $100-$120 IIRC.

19. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Yeah, but I would own up to it and learn. I made plenty of mistakes and broke or damaged a few things when I was under my parents roof and not once did I try to make anyone but me pay for my mistakes.

It's ruined? It's got a scratch about the width of a quarter. Plus, we do not know how deep/bad it is. It's not ruined.

Holy cow! What you said in red is the opposite of what you said in blue. The second part IS scamming them. It's A MOST deceptive part of a scam, covering up the damage.

Just because they are a big company it doesn't make it right.

The whole lesson here is responsibility. It's not like he got a calculator or a die-cast car that costs 30$ and put a scratch on it. He got a very expensive gift that just by looking at it you realize it's at the very least surface fragile and something you do not want to drop and he dropped it within an hour. I have two Touch's and treat them very gingerly. I've had a nice PDA for 6 years now and it's never felt the freel-fall force of gravity.

Don't get me wrong. I feel very bad for the guy and know that if somehow I scratched mine that quickly my heart would sink. I feel his pain and hope somehow there's a method that he can use to minimize the appearnace of the scratch or that somehow the Touch develops a real problem where he can legitimately get a replacement.

He should be grateful he didn't get a 30Gb Zune :)
    I'm not convinced that "Leap Year bug" won't rear it's ugly head again. (a leap year bug that launches at midnight GMT on the last day of a leap year? How does that happen?)

20. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Okay you caught me :D haha no he shouldn't scam them by taking it back and he should live with it but it just sucks A LOT it happened to my mother's first iPhone 3G she had it for a day and craked the screen so she had to buy a new one ! And I'm 20 yes old before you think Im a little kid. I pay close attention to my iPhone and Touch.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

How the heck did you scratch it? What kind of stuff do you keep on your bed? Knives? My iPod has been through everyday life with me and it has no cases or covers or anything like that. To me, they are a waste of money. My 3-4 friends with iPod touches bought cases (note the plural not singular). The back looks like you dragged it through hell and then some sandpaper or you used it for gun practice target. The black ring looks like a dog chewed on it. Mine? A few minor scratches here and there... Screen is perfect though. Anyways, you are scamming Apple. Period. I don't care what religion you believe in or what your political view is, it's scamming.

22. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

umm, you could try to sell it on ebay because lots of collectors like to buy broken ipods and such so perhaps or you could tell your parents about what happened(sugar coat it) and perhaps, if your parents have enough booze int hem, they might get you a new touch otherwise, if none of the above works, here is a simple way to get a new and better touch (GET A JOB):rolleyes:if you buy it with your own money, then no way in hell are you even going to contemplate dropping it. next time you get a touch or something expensive, take care of it, buy it a case and a screen protector or something to that effect.

23. Elppa14 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok guys, i have come to a conclusion. i realized you guys are totally right. IT IS SCAMMING. so, what im gonna do, is keep it in a case with screen protector, and then save up the "small fortune" and have it professionaly replaced by Apple. I'm NOT going to get another one, sell it, or RETURN it, because A) it would be scamming :apple: B) it isn't even that bad, and finally C) i learned a valuable lesson, i need to take care of my things. But hey, it's my first ipod so i guess the first one's always the most beaten one, because you don't know how to take care of it, (well at least that was the case for me) Thankyou guys soo much for getting it through to me and making me learn from my mistake. Just to make sure everyone understands, im not returning it. have a great day guys and i'll see you around!

24. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

good. i suppose reverse psychology rly does work:D

25. Elppa14 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess it does!:cool: Anyways it's a valuable lesson learned the hard way..