Another "Is it normal?" Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigManOnCampus, Jun 7, 2010.

1. BigManOnCampus macrumors newbie

So I just just got my very first MacBook Pro 15"!! So far it has been awesome but I have noticed that web pages are loading a bit slower than my parents old Toshiba with an old AMD processor... It also takes iPhoto about 17 seconds to start up and iMovie somewhere around 20 seconds to start up. So just a quick question, is this normal? And could it have something to do with this being its first use or maybe that I am installing a couple patch updates for StarCraft 2?

Thanks!

2. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

use it more often, system could still be indexing itself... make sure you install all the OS updates too and then come back and tell us the results

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Is there a dot in the middle of the magnifying glass in the top-right corner? If so, Spotlight is indexing the drive, which will slow down the system considerably until it's finished. If it is not indexing the drive, I would say that perhaps you are questioning your system's performance because you are doing an apples-to-oranges comparison. Try using the same browser on both machines to rule that out as the culprit. Also, iPhoto and iMovie both take a little time to open on my machine, although not half as long as they do for you, but that doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. There could be other tasks happening in the background that are slowing things down related to other programs you are running.

4. dliu macrumors newbie

Slow web page loading has more to do with your internet connection rather than the browser. You said you were installing Starcraft 2 patches - this may have slowed your internet connection while you were downloading them, and the installation may also be the cause behind slow application loading.

5. BigManOnCampus thread starter macrumors newbie

And here is another quick question... when play StarCraft 2 the upper left of the computer gets extremely hot to the point that it hurts to hold your finger on it! Isn't this not healthy for the computer??

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's fine. Don't hold your finger there.