Another issue with stealth ports.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cyork35, Mar 18, 2008.

1. cyork35 macrumors newbie

Before you redirect me to another thread, I have already looked up many instances of others having my same problem and none of the answers have helped me.

My Problem: When running Transmission I get very slow download speeds and when I check my port under the advanced settings it says "Port Set to Stealth" with a red dot.

I am on a macbook pro running leopard and I connect to the internet through a linksys wireless g router. I have UPnP enabled like Transmission tells you to do and I tried manually forwarding the ports but to no avail..

Can anyone help me?? Please just ask for any more info about my problem and I will give it. The other day i was achieving easily 150kbps speeds but now they barely reach 30.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Is your OS X firewall on, and is it set on stealth mode? If both are not, then I would suggest checking your router for the same settings. Beyond that, it is possible that your ISP is deliberately limiting traffic of that type or on that port. I would suggest trying another piece of software, like Limewire or Acquisition and see if you still have the problem. I have had problems where my ISP would block Acquisition but not Limewire or visa-versa.

TEG

3. cyork35 thread starter macrumors newbie

My OS X Firewall is at the default which i believe is off and i set it to allow transmission but that shouldn't matter because it is off.

I checked my router and no services are blocked and there does not seem to be any special cases that would prohibit this port from working properly.

I also tried using Azureus. I had the same issue, so its not just for Transmission. I haven't done anything with Limewire or Frostwire yet because I am still paranoid it will mess up my MBP. I guess it probably won't.

4. cyork35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright so I tried using Frostwire for a bit torrent client but I had the same issues, only getting around 10kbps. BUT when I used Frostwire for p2p downloading just like the regular use, it spiked up to 186kbps within seconds. Please please can anyone help me?? This is driving me crazy.

5. cyork35 thread starter macrumors newbie

So does no one know anything I can do to get my bit torrent programs running at the speed they should?

6. parallax99 macrumors newbie

Another issue with stealth ports

Hey cyork, somewhat comforting to know I'm not alone. I'm having EXACTLY the same problem on a MacBook Pro. I've triple checked all my settings but I can't get the port to come out of "stealth".

I've even tested my maximum download speed online (it's over 2000kbps!). Limewire works fine at a normal speed...

What's really annoying is that I'm uploading seeded torrents on Transmission at about 100kbps but only downloading at around 0.5kbps, if anything. Most of the time it's not downloading at all...

I'll keep watching this space & would appreciate any tips you do find!!!