Another Late 08 MBP returned

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akashhhhh, Oct 27, 2008.

1. akashhhhh macrumors member

And thus ends my great Apple experiment. After going through 3 units (isight dead, left speaker dead, dead pixels, respectively). I have given up and will be getting a full refund for my 2.53 stock unit.

I think it was mostly my own fault, I wanted to use it as almost exclusively a Vista machine, because I do prefer that OS and I could tinker with OSX on the side. But the sound (pop/crackle) and hard lockup issues (on all three units, and yes I know how to use boot camp and install the proper drivers) made it unusable.

Instead, I went out today and bought the Best Buy Exclusive HP DV3510:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat161100050036&type=category
    It's the one on the right and it's slightly less powerful but includes a million things I missed on a mac (esata, hdmi, vga out, card readers, removable optical drive, and on and on) and it comes with a 2 yr warranty and I saved $1500.

Just wanted to share the experience for anyone toying with the idea of using the awesome MBP hardware as a windows machine....the support just isn't there yet. Maybe next time around?

2. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

I don't blame you for returning it after all those issues with that many units.

I think the HP you got is a nice machine and based on your needs it seems will server you better anyway. besides you can't argue with the savings you got!

BTW.. Would you take a look at my thread on the late 08 MPB build dates and enter your info for me if you still have the ser# from your unit (s) you returned?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=590398

I am trying to see if there is any correlation between new MBP issues with either build date or factory it was made at.

Thanks and good luck with the HP!

3. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

glad to see someone just get what they wanted/needed
    hope you enjoy your hp