another Late 2011 MBP not starting up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alfa84, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Alfa84, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

Alfa84 macrumors newbie

Is it a coincidence that there are a bunch of MBP 13's not booting up / having battery issues due to OS X Yosemite - or is it just me.

I left my late 2011 MBP connnected to an Iphone 5 and a Ipod shuffle (we're not sure if it was connected to the outlet or not) and found it completely dead the following morning.

I thought no big deal. I ran the battery deal and Ill recharge it.- Ill run errands and be back in 6 hours. I come back and It doesn't boot. We swapped MagCharger and still the same. The magCharger green light is on but very dim.

Im new to Mac so I went to the Apple forums and noticed that there are a few people either experiencing due to OS X Yosemite:
    - decrease in battery life
    - dead battery / can't boot

I have an appoinment with the Genius bar just too see what they say.

If a battery is needed there's two options:
    A. get a batttery through Apple and have them install it. If the issue continues it should be covered by Apple (and maybe they'll re-examine Yosemite for issues).
    B. pick up an aftermarket battery from Anker. If the issue continues there's an 18month warranty.

someone else have another option or ideal ?

Cheers,
    Alfa84

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since you'll be there at the apple store (and provided they have it in stock), I say get the apple battery so can be up and running sooner then later. If not get the third party battery.

I haven't read anything negative about third party batteries but then my 2012 rMBP has a sealed battery so I don't think its feasible for me to go that route, i.e., its glued onto the computer.

3. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Yep its no coincidence. My 2011 worked perfect under snow leopard. As soon as I upgraded it to Mavericks the battery went bad. Yeah right. Only 72 cycles on it.

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Been using my early 2011 13'' and updated the OS with every version, no issue whatsoever.