Another light leak question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mark.W, May 13, 2010.

1. Mark.W macrumors member

My 14 day return period is expiring on Sunday, so I need to decide whether to keep my current unit or try to exchange it.

I have a small amount of purplish light leaking from the bottom of the screen. It's only becomes noticeable in a dark room at near max brightness. It looks like this (not my pictures):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know that no LED panel is perfect, but is this sort of leakage considered acceptable? I'm hesitant to exchange it because I'm scared of getting a unit with even worse leakage or dead pixels or what have you.

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

my mid-2009 13" has some lite light-leak similar to yours on either side...i barely notice it unless its completely dark or am looking for it and hasnt affected my use or playback of fullscreen films on it.

I'd say it could be worse, i wouldnt return it as you said the odds of the other one having it may be the same and or other discrepancies you may notice.
    you may try to ask if you can see one before committing to a return..though for non-defective units they are pretty stern on their return policies.

I returned my first 13" because it the lcd was yellow and looked really nasty and saturated fortunately im content with the one i got even with the lite light leak.

if that helps.

3. Mark.W thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Is your leak the same color as in the pics above (purplish-blue)?

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Yep. its on each side of the display, the bottom goes further then the rest.

Honestly if it is something of a concern definitely see if they can make an exception to check out one of their 13" they have in stock.

5. Mark.W thread starter macrumors member

Well, I went down to the Apple store tonight and checked all ten 13" pros they had in stock (yes, the sales reps were all looking at me funny by the time I was done). Most of them had a little bit of purple "bleed over" around the bottom of the screen, though the severity was impossible to determine due to the extremely bright lighting inside the Apple store. Only two of the ten machines had no visible trace of this "bleed over". Incidentally, both had 9CC2 displays...though it could be just a coincidence.

In any event, I think I'm going to keep my computer.