another look, retina mbp...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fisherking, Jul 6, 2012.

1. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i live in nyc, travel on the subways, and walk...a lot. i've always had the smallest macs (starting with the venerable 2400c...google it! it was amazing).
    2 12" powerbooks, several 13" macbook pros.

went to the apple store today, and played with the retina mbp. the screen IS nice, but no so urgent for me, so after 20 minutes of exploring apps, safari...i thought "nice but not necessary".

but...the size, the overall design...i really liked that. felt small (in the way the current 13" does); i don't miss the optical drive (i'd keep one at home tho).

i just really liked the overall size, the aesthetic (and yes, the screen).

so am thinking about it; for people who know me, that's radical. still...will wait until october or so, see what a 13" rMbp might look like (if that happens).

the new design is really amazing...

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Never had a 15" mbp, or seen the retina one in person but the fact that it's 40g lighter than my 13" is good enough sounding to me. Currently saving up for one and personally would rather it be more of a surprise so I'm not gonna look at one in person first :p

3. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

in person, it just feels...right. did not FEEL larger than my 13" mbp. the screen is great, but again, not the defining thing for me. it's the combination of ALL the new features that's got me interested in it...

4. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Was at the local sporting goods store today and decided to drop into Best Buy and check out the new rMBP. Got to admit the screen really blew me away. Placed it side by side with the standard MBP and the difference was quite evident. Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate my current MBP, but I plan to put a rMBP on my wish list. As noted above the display is the most obvious feature, yet the entire design is quite appealing. Will seriously consider a purchase after some of the reported new model kinks have been resolved.

5. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I've carried my 13 inch MBP 2010 up and down the stairs (changing from one room to another) everyday for a couple years and now that I have the rmbp I can feel the difference. I love that it's thinner and lighter.
    The difference is not significant but it is noticeable but noticeable I don't want to touch the 13 inch anymore. :D And I love the bigger screen.

6. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

I considered moving to a 13'' machine when June rolled around...and then Apple released something truly special in the RMBP. The weight difference is noticeable (although coming from a 2006 machine, I'm not sure how the weight compares to the unibody designs), and I wouldn't hesitate to toss this in a book bag if I needed to transport it. I can't see them releasing it in a 13'' model until next year at the earliest, but I don't think you'd regret buying this model if you decided to take the plunge!

7. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I don't think they'll add Retina to any other MacBooks until next year. They'll let the rMBP have the spotlight for a year.

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

I agree that the overall form factor is more appealing than the retina display. Heck I use it hooked to a lower res 27" Tbolt display all day, but to me it's what the perfect combo of MBA meets MBP. Crazy light for the size, the reduced screen bezel, the overall feel of it in your hands is just hard to describe to someone that hasn't used it. I hope this is the future of all Apple laptops and they dump the extra weight for this kind of laptop. The air has it's uses, but to pack in the quad core power, the GPU and the SSD really makes this thing a pleasure to use when on the go.