Another Mac Mail and AOL problems. Help before I smash something.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Big D 51, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Hi all,

For some odd reason my Mac Mail will not send AOL mail. It was just working last week for sure. It still receives, but will not send. I tested using the Connection Doctor option, and everything is connecting ok as shown in picture below.

2.jpg

Any ideas what I can do to fix this problem?

Thank you.

2. Big D 51, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

436 gurus have viewed the thread and no help? Between this and print selection, it is about time to move on.:mad:

You guys trying to give me a hard time? :(

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No one on this forum is paid to help you. Members of this forum to share information and to help each other. If someone here can help you, then they will respond. If not, then they will likely not respond.

Now for your problem. You appear to understand that you have a SMTP issue. This "issue" is not an issue at all. It is common practice for email providers to deny unauthenticated access to their SMTP servers from outside domains. This reduces the probability that the SMTP server will be used to relay SPAM. The solution is to use authenticated SMTP access.

Within Mail:
    1. Change your SMTP server port to 587.
    2. Set the authentication popup menu to Password.
    3. In the appropriate boxes, type in your AOL screen name for your user name. Type AOL password for your password.

4. Big D 51, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I was only joking and using the comment as a bump. :cool: Sorry to offend. Someone on this forum always seem to bail me out. Very grateful for MacRumors.

And now it works perfectly again. Thank you soooo much. I will pay you for your help, if you like :p . Thank you again for your time and resolving the issue. I get so frustrated when I can't figure stuff out like this.