Another MAC newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Codeseven, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone.

After hearing me complain about Windows for the past few years, Santa (my Wife) surprised me with a MacBook Pro! My first Apple computer!!

She (bless her heart!) made sure it was the newest version of Apples Macbook Pro series currently available and it has all the upgrades. This thing puts my ol' custom homebuilt PC to shame! I'm blown away a 'laptop' could be such a powerful little computer. It has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz 1066MHz frontside bus with 6MB L2 Cache, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, 320GB Hard Drive and Apples newest OS X Leopard operating system, sheesh!

She even included a 500GB Time Capsule 802.11n Wi-Fi Hard Drive, iWork 08 and a copy of made for MAC Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare! (I gotta give the Sales person at the Apple store a big hug for suggesting to my wife that a video game would be good for learning about the new OS!) Which I promptly loaded up and watched in absolute amazement!!

Anyhoo,

Since this little laptop kicks the crap out of my PC, I would like to use it as my main computer while at home.

Question: Can I use my wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse with the MacBook?

Also, I would like to use my Dell monitor, it has a DVI port. From what I've read, using the MacBook miniport to connect a remote monitor has been problematic. Can you guys suggest which cable to use and how to avoid problems using a remote monitor with my new MacBook?

Thanks. Glad to have to finally have a MAC!

Codeseven

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Of Course MACs can do anything Windows PC's can and more.
    You could even install Windows on it if you wanted alongside your Mac Leopard

This is the cable you need for your monitor
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

I dont have any problems with it whatsoever, and ive got a similar system to you, some people groan about it being on the slightly expensive side, but you only get what you pay for, especially with Apple.

Enjoy your new Laptop

:):apple:

3. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great! Thanks.

Question, is it the Mini DisplayPort to 'Dual-Link' DVI Adapter that is causing the uproar and what would that one be used for as opposed to the one suggested?

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

First things first.
    MAC == Media Access Control
    Mac == Macintosh computer

Just a pet peeve of myself, and a lot of Mac users. :)

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Someone loves you alot!

Congrats and welcome to the family. If your wireless mouse a Bluetooth one or does it have a little wireless dongle?

6. n8mac macrumors 6502

Forget about it just persisting, I want to know how it started :confused:
    (Nothing personal Codeseven, just don't understand)

7. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

8. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey! He said MAC!:D Actually, ya, I like Mac instead. Thanks for the help and welcome folks.

Codeseven

9. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mmm, I downloaded the Logitech Control Center and installed it. My mouse and keyboard work with exception to the backspace button on the mouse. When I opened the Logitech program to configure the mouse buttons the program says that no Logitech devices are installed. Any idea's?

10. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Well glad that was all sorted out. Welcome to the world of OS X.

Click the Link in my Signature below for some information you may find useful as a new OS X User.

11. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, almost.

12. therealdt macrumors regular

You should thank your wife properly. She did good.

13. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

She sure did. Gotta love that gal!

14. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I have a 4-button Logitech mouse as well, and I haven't been able to get the back button to work either. Happily, I have it programmed to a far more useful purpose: it activates the Abracadabra plugin in Quicksilver. Fantastic. I didn't even bother with the control centre. Now I can swipe to send iTunes forwards/back, draw a ^ symbol to eject the disk, even rate songs by tracing a number with my mouse. Quicksilver is an integral part of the Mac experience for me, one that Spotlight cannot even approach.

Enjoy the new "MAC". In future, it's always best to get after-market memory, which is the same quality but a third the price. And, if Santa has any gifts left in that bag... ;)

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the forum and to the world of Mac. Congrats on your new MBP, you'll love it and you have a wonderful spouse. May you and your MBP both live long and prosper.

Cheers and good luck