Another mac running slow - Macbook pro 2.5GHZ 4GB ram

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr. Tech, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Mr. Tech macrumors newbie

I bought my mac a few months ago... i've got 75GB free space, 2.5GHz processor, 4GB of ram. Thought this would be a totally insane machine!

The last few weeks it's running like a windows machine on 1GB of ram. What the?

FireFox 3 is crap which I discovered from doing a but of searching..

I've also done other searches on why my mac is slow and most answers were not enough ram ect but I beleive I have more then enough ram.

I've ran some software from this page: http://www.kenrickparish.com/jgeerling/articles/computing/mac-slow.html

Is there anything else I can do? Is there anywhere I can go to monitor my macs performance such as an equivalent to a task manager or something. It gets to the point where I want to through it out the window which wont do me any good.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated ;)

2. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Fresh install, I did with mine, and gave up on the iLife tosh, working great so far a good two months in.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Has the machine been on 24/7 for weeks on end? If so try a reboot it'll clear the ram etc..

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use Activity Monitor to see what's running and how much system resources are being used. It's in your Applications > Utilities folder.

I'd like to understand why you suggested this. I can run for weeks at a time without rebooting and have no performance issues. This was the sort of thing necessary with Windows, but I'm unaware of any reason to do this with Mac OS X. Enlighten me?

5. Mr. Tech thread starter macrumors newbie

Fresh install? Not the idea I had in mind. I'd rather not if I don't have to... I appreciate the thought though. I'll keep that one in mind. Sounds like a pain. Maybe Mac's aren't all they are cracked up to be. I guess everything has its faults.

I turn my mac off every night so it is cleared a fresh every day...

Perhaps there are other maintenance stuff I can do to speed it up?

I know windows comes with a defragmenter but from what i've read, mac does it for you... I also used to use a program called ccleaner which cleared all the temporary stuff off the machine... don't know if that really sped it up but it cleared about 5GB of crap off a friends pc last week...

Maybe there are programs that use a lot of memory? I have a few running all the time for work. Can I look at how much memory they are using to I can diagnose?

6. Mr. Tech thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow you guys are quick. Didn't even get to write a psot before you replied. Will look into it

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

How did it run when you first got it?

8. djchiena macrumors newbie

you can download the iStat Pro widget and that can monitor your Mac's processes, memory usage, etc. at a glance.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Only time you need to do this is for the programs which exhibit a memory leak type behavior.

Usually the app should run fine during the day but simple action of logging out at the end of the day should clear things out.

---

However installing Norton Antivirus, some of the USB All-in-One drivers, etc. can seriously cause issues and make the machine run like a dog.

---

Simply telling the guy to create a new user will see if the issue is something in his user folder causing problems.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iStat Pro is a great app and I agree it's good to have. However, it will only show the top few applications running, not all of them. It also doesn't show nearly the detail that Activity Monitor will.
    Wouldn't it make sense to look at what's actually installed and what's running, rather than assuming Norton AV or a USB All-in-One driver is installed?
    I could be wrong, but it seems to me there are more basic approaches to isolating the problem, before creating a new account.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Simply quitting an application that exhibits a memory leak will cause the OS to reclaim that memory. There should be no reason to restart because of a memory leak.

12. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Not to be flippant, but yes, you are wrong.

It takes all of 15 seconds to create a new user. Another minute and you have tested to determine if it's caused by your user or a general system-wide problem. Maybe go as far as rebooting and logging in to the new test-user without logging into your primary user first.

So in 2 minutes you could isolate this to a problem with software/settings installed in your account, or determine it is system-wide.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Never said restart.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... compared to two mouse-clicks to open Activity Monitor to see what's using resources. Hmmmm..... Plus, how exactly does creating a second user accomplish what the OP asked for?:

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I've seen issues like this where it is the user account. Granted its on windows machines because thats what I work on but I would have a brand new install, create a new profile for the user, the new profile works awesome, but the second I load all of the info from the old profile into that newly created profile the machine bogs down and runs like sh*t. (Hence why you should only move necessary folders not all folders)

As for mac I have the same machine (I think) that you do, I have more software installed on it then you do (guaranteed) and havent ever had slow down issues. I would guess either something got corrupted down the line, a profile issue, or possibly a hardware issue.

Also, for reinstall it doesn't take long at all.

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You replied to a post talking about rebooting but whatever. You don't need to log out either, you just need to quit the application as I said.

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

18. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Disk Utility (in your applications/utilities folder) does the same thing. no need to download an extra app.

19. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

truw but this app does quite a bit more and is very easy to use

20. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Context, context, context.

If the original poster said "I'm new to Mac, and my system is running GREAT! But I'm curious, how do I do the equivalent of the Windows Task Manager?" I wouldn't have said anything about debugging.

Since someone already brought up Activity Monitor, and creating alternate users, as ways of debugging, I would have left it at that. But you argue that setting up a new user is not a good test case.

Let's say that Firefox is acting slow, but there is NOTHING ELSE taking up CPU. If you create a new account, and try FireFox, you may find out that your normal user's firefox cache is fubar, or that your normal user has other settings that are affecting firefox. Won't see that in Activity Monitor.