Another Macbook or Macbook Pro thread...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uamwf, Jul 6, 2008.

1. uamwf macrumors newbie

Hi!

I somewhat new to the Forums here and was wondering if people could help me decide. Basically it's the usual story...going into college and getting my first Laptop! I know it's going to be a Apple but I'm not sure which one!??!?!?

Currently I have a four-year old XP-System that satifies my needs (internet, music, photos, writing, and some gaming) but I was wondering if going into college would it be a good idea to get a MBP? I really like the Macbook design but the only thing holding me back from getting it is the Video Card!!! Most of my gaming revolves around games like The Sims 2 (and 3 when it comes out!!), Diablo II (again III when it comes out!) and Guild Wars (which I would have to play through bootcamp). Would the Macbook really be able to handle all of that or would it fail miserably? I know that it would be perfect for all of my other needs but this is the single area in which it is lacking!!

Any comments would be much appreciated!

2. illidian macrumors 6502

The MacBook will run all the games you listed just fine.

3. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I've said it before and I'll say it again, your probably wanting to save a little money, and thats why you're wondering if you'll be alright with a Macbook. Go to Apple.com's refurbished store and purchase a 15" Macbook Pro there, you'll find that the combination of a graphics card, as well as the better keyboard, and more screen real-estate will be very helpful for everything you do on your computer- even word processing and email. The Macbook is a great computer, but since you're not a young child, I anticipate you may want to do things in the future with your computer that a Macbook simply can't handle...
    -:apple:intelrock

4. krazym0fo08 macrumors newbie

random question...

is $1499 for a new mbp decent price? Its the older model the one without the mouse pad like the iphones.

5. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

who are you planning on purchasing it from?

6. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

i have a macbook which is ok for playing halo, unreal tournament 2003 , etc. However it hanged when i tried to run halo 2 vista in boot camp... I would suggest macbook for price but the macbook pro for speed.

7. krazym0fo08 macrumors newbie

on campus computer store.