Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
My MacBook Pro has been perfect since I got it in February. The only problem then was 1 red stuck pixel, and the whole left side (CAPS, Shift, fn, & tab) were crooked.

Okay, great. No whine, no moo, no backlight flickering, no heat, no kernal panics, no paint peeling, no mag-safe melting. Yay :)

paint peeling, keyboard-Until now. A couple days ago I noticed some paint peeling underneath the keyboard, in between the trackpad & spacebar. I was like, alright jsut a little cosmetic issue, no biggie.

whine-About a week ago I started to notice it was whining, very loudly. In a room with a box fan going, I can still hear it. It is REALLY annoying. But I don't know why it is called whining, 'cause it just sounds like an electronic buzz.

backlight-The same day I noticed the whining, my backlight was flickering. Not like....from completely bright to completely black. But you can see it goes between 1 notch higher then 1 notch lower. I thought it was a setting I had on, but it wasn't. I went to system preferences and changed it so that it would NOT automatically adjust the screen brightness in low lit conditions. I went into a brighter room (the kitchen in this case) to see if it was just not ... listening to me unchecking the system preferences (haha...i don't know how to explain, but i just wanted to be sure.) Sure enough, still backlight flickering. :mad:

heat-This happened a while ago, in May (not that long ago, but whatever). I was downtown at Starbucks & I noticed that my MacBook Pro was getting real hot, my friend was playing The Sims 2 so I thought well, you know, it's using a lot of memory, video card processing, cpu etc etc. So I just said lets stop with the game and let it cool down for a bit. It was still REALLY hot. The fans weren't coming on & we had it on the table, in a COOL area. Next to the airconditioning vent (it was under the table, and the vent blew upwards and you can feel it on the table). I just put it away after it wouldn't cool down. Since it was overheating so much, I didn't want to keep using it. I was worried I might damage something, 'cause seriously, this thing could cook an egg SERIOUSLY (at that time). Before all this I had reset the PMU.

mooing, heat, mag-safe-Then I noticed later that night it was getting REALLY hot. Hotter than it was at Starbucks. It was mooing, so I just put it to sleep & went to take a shower. I went to take a shower, came back & noticed the the wire (not the connector) had melted and the light was off. (it melted where the jacket covers the wire to the connector. it is almost at the connector but just the wire) I looked at the plug to see if it was melted, or hot, or even plugged in! It was HOT! The wire had melted, I don't know why but shouldn't these things be more durable? Apple replaced my mag-safe adapter.

So for today I have had 7 kernal panics. I don't have any extra insalled RAM, it came from Apple. These are the FIRST kernal panics I have had. With the same exact hardware and OS it came with. I haven't had any new applications. Same thing I run everyday, Mail, Safari, & Adium. All are universal, and all have worked great in the past.

WTF! This is aggravating. I'm not mad at Apple, because I'm the one who bought it. But I really am sorta disappointed, I've been a Mac user all my (short) life. This is the first that I've had this much trouble with in so little time.

Problem is, I don't live close to an Apple store AT ALL. Closest one is like....150 miles away. Do they do replacements &/or replacing the logic board (and EVERYHTING) over the phone? (well I know they aren't gonna replace the logic board THROUGH the phone...but you know what I mean :D )

Thanks in advance. :eek: :( :mad:

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
just call them up.. they'll send you a box. Put the MBP in the box... they'll either send you the same one, fixed. or they'll give you a refurbished, working one.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Sorry to hear your troubles - I know exactly how frustrating a machine like that can be (as well as living far from an Apple Store).

If the part is user-servicable, they will do replacements over the phone. I don't know about non-user-servicable parts though - I imagine they do.

Over the phone, (well, through the mail) they sent me 2 logic board replacements and a power supply replacement for my rev-A iMac G5.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
w_parietti22 said:
just call them up.. they'll send you a box. Put the MBP in the box... they'll either send you the same one, fixed. or they'll give you a refurbished, working one.

Josh said:
Sorry to hear your troubles - I know exactly how frustrating a machine like that can be (as well as living far from an Apple Store).

If the part is user-servicable, they will do replacements over the phone. I don't know about non-user-servicable parts though - I imagine they do.

Over the phone, (well, through the mail) they sent me 2 logic board replacements and a power supply replacement for my rev-A iMac G5.

It is deffinitely the logic board having a stupid heart attack. Doesn't it seem like it? Anyway, I hope they can get it fixed. I'll call them tonight. I hope I don't get an over seas person I can't understand 'cause they don't even speak english :mad:

I think my CD is stuck in there too...it won't eject when I hold the mouse button during start up or when I hold the eject button :eek:

gosh gosh. My iMac has lasted 6 years with no problems, why can't the MBP last 6 months? I mean I know not everyone is having these problems but it is more than I ever heard with the PowerBooks. :eek:

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
It's a shame as it's getting a bad name for Apple. To be honest with you, I wouldn't mind paying another £500 for my MBP, it would still be a complete bargain. If they charged you more, and you got better reliability (mine has no problems, other than the whine which I don't care about and a slightly wonky eject key) for new users, I'd be prepared to pay it!!!

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
Do the MacBooks have as much problems?
I might trade, even though I need the graphics card on the MBP.
hmm...
This is interfering with my Photoshopping I'm suppose to be doing right now :mad:

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Macmaniac said:
Apple should really offer some kind of recall on this problem. These issues seem to be getting slightly out of hand.

Agreed! This is not the first time I have heard of this problem. This is why I'm still using a G5 PowerMac. I just don't trust the Intel Macs yet.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
You live close to me.

Anyway, I love it, but this all happened in like....2 weeks.
It's sorta insane. I just want a replacement before school starts back :eek:

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Then get apple to lend you a laptop or give you a new one straight away...

I couldn't live without my laptop at school. I'm thinking of getting an older (maybe 876) 12" powerbook with 10.3 or something on it just in case my MBP goes tits up for a while...

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
Chrispy said:
Would B-Town happen to be Bloomington :p

yes. & the only ''apple'' store here is at the stupid IU bookstore which doesn't do any replacements. they have no geniuses. we went tehre the other day to get a firewire cable & handed my a USB cable to an iPod.

Killyp said:
Then get apple to lend you a laptop or give you a new one straight away...

I couldn't live without my laptop at school. I'm thinking of getting an older (maybe 876) 12" powerbook with 10.3 or something on it just in case my MBP goes tits up for a while...

Can I do that? Its only over the phone, so I don't know how fast they'd actually get it to me.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
celebrian23 said:
My mbp isn't playing nicely either. I've only had mine 3.5 weeks, and I really hope nothing comes up I can't deal with

What's wrong with it so far?

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Good luck getting this thing fixed...hopefully Apple just replaces it for you.

I'm starting to get concerned after reading all these posts with bad MacBook Pro experiences. I just ordered one...hopefully the ones shipping now have some of these problems resolved. :confused:

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Besides the typical issues (excessive heat, very loud whine) it's now had 2 kernel panics, and my backlight was on, but it was extremely, extremely dim and just a few random issues keep coming up.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
celebrian23 said:
Besides the typical issues (excessive heat, very loud whine) it's now had 2 kernel panics, and my backlight was on, but it was extremely, extremely dim and just a few random issues keep coming up.

I feel like killing Apple Computer Inc., now.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
mine is so hot right now that when i accidently touch the left vent while I'm touching it actually hurts my hand. And on the occaisonal instance where I accidently reach beyond the function keys, that metal strip really hurts my poor fingers who only wanted to lower the volume :( You know, when I read about these problems, I thought they were just a vocal small minority. Now that I'm one of them, I'm not so sure.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Well, all I can say is that when I get this thing, I'm going to push it...HARD...and if I come across any problems, they'll be hearing from me. I bought AppleCare, and I've got a backup laptop to use just in case.

I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to do the whole thermal paste thing...remove the old and add new. Whatever ended up being the consensus on that, does it really make a difference or doesn't it?

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
Called, they said they want me to take it into 'Mac Experience'.
Of course, when I get there it'll act like an angel.
It'll stop whining, flickering, heating, peeling paint, & stupid crap.

This is getting on my nerves. I just want a stupid replacement :mad:
rawr. Stupid Apple guy :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
markkk! said:
yes. & the only ''apple'' store here is at the stupid IU bookstore which doesn't do any replacements. they have no geniuses. we went tehre the other day to get a firewire cable & handed my a USB cable to an iPod.

The Indianapolis Apple store is not much better. EVERYTIME I take a computer there with issues the geniuses pretend there is nothing wrong. For example, last year when I got a PM G5 Dual 2.0 (not the one I have now) it was making a really loud high pitch buzz (similar to the MB and MBPs). The geniuses claimed they could not hear it but then a guy walks up to the counter and goes "wow what is that terrible sound" HAHA! It was great. They ended up letting me return it but still... what a hassle.

I had two macbooks and they were buggy, hot on the bottom and had the whine/buzz big time. My roommate now as one and it does the same thing. I really want an Apple portable but my employer told me they will only cover the cost of a Dell D620 I have and I'm not going to sink my money into anymore Apple portables until these problems pass. Best of luck to you fellow hoosier in getting your lappy replaced.

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
When I close my MBP, the corners are no longer flat, the two ends are up and you really notice the space.:(

SN: W862306

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
jaxstate said:
When I close my MBP, the corners are no longer flat, the two ends are up and you really notice the space.:(

SN: W862306

a week 23, eh?
i really need this thing to be replaced & they better take it back :mad:
My dad is going to try & take it in, I don't think they'd take 15 year old wanting a MacBook Pro replaced seriously. If that doesn't work, we'll get my aunt...THEN they'll replace it.

if that doesn't work I'll try....haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.