Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
unixfool said:
I can confirm this. I plugged in my laptop after moving to the couch from the dining room. It was at 100% when I unplugged it. When I plugged it in, it was at 98%. I was waiting for it to charge and its STILL sitting at 98%. So, yeah, I can confirm that part of your set of questions, but not the other questions you have.
Thanks. Does your MacBook also take a looooong time to jump from 99% to 100% (about 1 hour)?

I'd not worry about it unless you begin to have more prevalent issues. Just enjoy your Mac instead of trying to catch every potential bug.
Ya, you're right. I've always been like that :eek: The only two issues that really bother me are the screen flicker/waves and the uneven backlighting.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
My White macbook 2.0ghz doesn't have either of those problems.

I'd definitly take it in to an apple store and show them or whatever, i'm a recent switcher so i dont know how that works.

My screen has perfectly even brightness, I opened up a large white window and tried really hard to see if any parts were darker/brighter, but it's perfectly even. I also turned the brigntness down and up and all over the place and inspected the screen, there were no problems like you explained.

So....no it's not normal, take it in!:D

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I can also confirm on the slow trickle charge as well. It happens on my MacBook and happened on my PowerBook as well. It isnt a bug or anything wrong.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
i just saw that video of yours. if you mean by waves, as the pulsing action of the screen, that is probably because something is wrong with your refresh rates.

i doubt this would do anything, but goto system prefrences, display, and hit "Detect Displays."

you probably should call up Apple and see if they can do anything.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
wako said:
i just saw that video of yours. if you mean by waves, as the pulsing action of the screen, that is probably because something is wrong with your refresh rates.

i doubt this would do anything, but goto system prefrences, display, and hit "Detect Displays."

you probably should call up Apple and see if they can do anything.
That video is bad representation of what it looks like. It looks about half as bad in real life. (The entire screen doesn't pulse, it's more like a pulse that moves up and down the screen).

I just called Apple and they told me to take it into an Apple Store.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Congrats on the mac!

I'll take a stab at this video/wavy line thing but first, you can always use CoconutBattery or system profiler to get all the info on your battery (mAh, cycle #, favorite color) if you really want to know whats going on. That 100% thingee in the menu bar isn't really super accurate.

Ok, your video looks like a low refresh CRT - how nostalgic. What brighness level was it on and how long was the mac book on? If thats full brighness and you had you mac book on for over 30 min I really don't think you should be seeing that.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
EricNau said:
Can anyone else confirm this?

I know Apple batteries do use a trickle charge towards the end, but I was under he impression it happened long before 99%. I also find it odd that it cannot predict when the battery will be charged (it just says calculating). No matter how fast the battery is charging, it should still be able to predict the time left, right?
Power is also being used for running the computer at varying levels depending on what you are doing, so a calculation cannot be perfect. I do agree that it ought to be better, though. I think it is much improved from previous laptops I've had years back, but there is still room for being better.

I realize it is probably the 'Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep' setting, but two things still puzzle me... 1)Why does it continue to get brighter again (instead of just dimming), and 2) I also have this setting checked for the Power Adaptor, but it doesn't seem to do it when I'm plugged in.
The programs are arguing with each other. (DVD Player and Power prefs) I'd set any of the "reduce brightness" settings to off while you watch movies to combat this. Another thing that should work better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.