Another MacBook VS MacBook Pro Help...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adibobea9, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. Adibobea9 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2007
    #1
    I am currently in college and about to purchase my first laptop and am currently really interested in the MacBook Pro. I like the idea of a bigger screen, and the backlit keyboard, and of course the extra graphics and power. However is it necessary where I am studying Graphic Design to have such features? Honestly right now anything will be better than the G3 Emac or whatever it is that I currently own, but I need something that will last me a few years, rather than needing an update anytime soon.

    Also I have been thinking about purchasing it before school starts on the 27th, but I would like to wait until Leopard is released. When an OS is released so soon after a purchase are you eligible for a free upgrade, or should I wait it out until it arrives? I like the idea of having the most current stuff when I buy things, especially when buying expensive things. Does Boot Camp come included in Leopard, can I install it now, and how much does it cost?

    Thanks for any info you can share...
     
  2. TheMotif macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2007
    #2
    Boot Camp is free, first of all.

    I don't know how long the time range is, but you may be eligible for an OS update, depending on when you buy the laptop.

    Obviously, the extra power and larger screen will help you with graphic design. I'd say go ahead and go for the low-end MacBook Pro, if you wanted a blunt answer immediately.

    EDIT: It seems the time range for OS upgrade eligibility is 90 days.
     
  3. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #3
    So I can buy a macbook now, and get leopard for free later?? Because from now, to October-31st = 79 days...
    are you positive about this??
     
  4. Adibobea9 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2007
    #4
    Yeah I am interested where you got the 90 days, because I might as well go an purchase it now. Do you have a source?
     
  5. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #5
    I wouldn't bet on it too much. The best source for this stuff is an Apple Store, and even then, it's not a great source. If you need the notebook before school, just buy it and buy Leopard at the EDU rate (assuming you don't qualify for the reduced rate).
     
  6. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #6
    I wont be buying my MacBook through apple, I do qualify for the EDU discount (homeschoolers one), My dad will buy it for me for $1,266 with no tax,
    So if the 90 day thing is real, could I go to apple, show the receipt and get leopard for free, if this is all true... or will I probably have to buy it through apple for the free\discounted leopard...
    I am going to call apple to see what the policy is on the "transition models"
     
  7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

    siurpeeman

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    the OC
    #7
    i don't think apple's ever done this (90 days). their policy usually is the time the exact date is announced, usually within a month of launch. the only mac os x upgrade that was widely free was 10.1, but that's another story.
     
  8. TheMotif macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2007
    #8
    I checked various Amazon.com discussions, so, yeah, don't take my word for it.
     
  9. amusiccale macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Location:
    PA
    #9
    Boot camp is free in beta now--a licensed copy windows, of course, is required and not free.

    Personally, I would say just go for it--the time you spend celebrating the new computer isn't worth camping out a software upgrade. Maybe it's my PC superstitions, but I'm waiting for at least 10.5.1 before I am willing to take the plunge...
     
  10. Dizzee macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    #11
    a MBP > MB is an absolute must for any graphic designer.
    espcially when doing print work you need the extra screen relistate.
     
  11. Igantius macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    #12
    If you mean a 17" model you've got a point - but a 15" one ain't gonna cut it.

    Although the MBP will offer superior performance to a MB because of the faster processor and FSB, plus greater max RAM, this is hardly to the extent that it's "an absolute must".
     
  12. sarah3585 macrumors regular

    sarah3585

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    #13
    For the price of the high end mabook pro you could get a the lowest spec Macbook of potiability and the 2.4 20inch iMac for the same price that way you get the big screen and the portible side of it. Just a suggestion.
     
  13. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #14
    You may want to look in to the glssy/matte screen issue as well. The colour reproduction is different, and if that rules out glossy screens for you then the MBP is your only option.
    I don't know enough about the issue to have an opinion though, so you'll have to read up on your own =)
     
  14. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

    XheartcoreboyX

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    #15
    if you REALLY need the extra power or interested in the screen size..buy the macbook pro.
    if you dont need much power,or the 13'' screen is just good for you..get the macbook...
    dont waste your money on something you dont need -the way i did- >_<
     

Share This Page