Another mail problem - doesn't work at all - apple has not answer yet

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Redsand187, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Redsand187 macrumors member

So I got a new rMBP and swapped everything from my other MBP. The original one is also running mavericks. I did the migration assistant, everything transferred. Then I open mail, and it prompts for an account setup. Upon entering account info, it either crashes or freezes mail.

If you look in the accounts menu, all of the previous accounts did transfer, just mail did not pick them up. In Mail, under the Mail menu, preferences is greyed out. It doesn't matter if they are gmail or "AOL" accounts Mail doesn't recognize them. I contacted Apple Care, they did a screen share, and didn't have any idea either, and were going to escalate to an engineer. :(

Anyone have any idea of a way around this? What is very interesting, is if I create a new user on the machine, and log in there, I can set up Mail properly. Which tells me something stupid got tweaked during the transfer.

This is my main machine for business, so I really would like to get my email working.

2. Psypher macrumors member

I am having the EXACT same problem. I used the migration assistant and now I'm having the same symptoms as you. Please let me know what the engineer finds. I'm thinking about going to the Genius Bar and seeing what they have to say.

3. Redsand187 thread starter macrumors member

Still waiting to get a response from them. Currently trying to do a clean install of mavericks on the new machine and reattempting migration. :(

4. Redsand187 thread starter macrumors member

We are now reaching the 1 week mark with no response or solution from AppleCare. They are still "waiting to hear from the engineer."

Pretty frustrating, anyone find a workaround yet? Clearing the v2 folder didn't work.

Does anyone know if Mavericks had this problem the entire time it was in beta, or did it just get screwed up in the final version?

5. Psypher macrumors member

I haven't found a fix yet. I tried clearing out the V2 folder and other mail related plist files and removed all of my accounts in system preferences and still can't fix it. I scheduled a genius bar appointment for Saturday and will let you know how it goes.

6. eww7633 macrumors regular

Not sure why that's in quotes. I guarantee that senior advisor is doing just that; waiting for engineering to answer the request.

7. rshoff, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

rshoff macrumors newbie

Preferences

Sorry - My mail hung again. My 'solution' didn't last but a day!

I've been having buggy problems with mail on and off since Mavericks. Especially today. Sometimes having problems with System Preferences when mail is opened too. Here's my hypothesis after playing around in the GUI this morning....

A conflict between Mail Accounts and Preferences and System Preferences. Specifically a conflict with Notifications and Mail Preferences. (?)

Here's what I did that is working so far: Deleted my mail accounts after opening System Preferences with Mail quit. Then re-added them. Also logged out of iCloud, and then re-logged in.

Finally I turned off the badge app icon in System Preferences> Notifications > Mail.

For some reason that all jogged it back to functionality (for the time being). Note: I had DockStar running with Mail in Mt Lion. Also, I updated to Mavericks from Mt Lion via my iCloud account in the Mac App Store.

Hope that helps you, or somebody, or anybody.

8. ern macrumors newbie

Have the exactly same problem. Any suggestions? Have anyone solved it?

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Quit Mail. I say this because I found in 10.9 if you instead use System Preferences->Internet and use the plus sign to add email account. Once mail is setup it points you to that System Preferences pane too.

10. ern macrumors newbie

The problem is that System Preferences->Internet Account has several email accounts and Mail just ignores it. I guess there's something wrong in the inter-process communications or services.
    I can not delete all the account in "System Preferences->Internet Account" either. iCloud account just insists there and can not be deleted.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then shut down your Mac then let it boot back up and hold down the keyboard button command+r in the boot up (before the "bong" port check sound until you see the white screen with the Apple symbol). It will take a little longer since you never booted into it so be patient. Once in the Recovery mode hunt around for Disk Utility and use that to 'Repair Permissions' and 'Repair Disk'. After that quit Disk Utility and then quit the installer and choose your normal boot up disk and boot up normal. See if it works after that, Good Luck.

12. ern macrumors newbie

I solved the problem.
    An engineer from Apple Support suggests me replace Mail/V2 folders with the original one from my old macbook. I just do it and all problems gone. I have restarted my laptop and it still works.