Another Mavericks Update Question

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MrGuder, May 13, 2018.

  1. MrGuder macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2012
    #1
    I have a late 2012 mac mini w/ 16GB 512 SSD that is still running Mavericks 10.9.5
    I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 9.3.5, iTunes ver 12.4.3, I can't update the iOS until I update the iTunes ver which also leads into updating my OSX.

    When El Capitan was released I downloaded it from the app store (it's in my downloads folder) but I never installed it. I'm finding that my 6s on iOS 9 won't run some critical apps so I really need to update my phone and unfortunately the only signed iOS is the latest 11

    If you were in my case would you update from Mavericks to El Capitan (I wished I had downloaded Sierra) or would you just update from Mavericks to HS?

    I'm kinda nervous but I also think my mac mini is spec'd to handle either. I also only have 53GB left of free space on my SSD.
     
  2. chrfr macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    #2
    You can still download Sierra if you want: https://support.apple.com/HT208202 I would skip El Capitan at this point. High Sierra works fine for me on similar hardware to yours so I wouldn't rule that out either.
     
  3. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #3
  4. MrGuder thread starter macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2012
    #4
    Thanks I didn't know I could still download Sierra since only HS shows up on the main page of the App Store under updates.
     
  5. MrGuder thread starter macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2012
    #5
    It sounds like Sierra might be more stable or HS based on so many comments here so I guess I'll upgrade from Mavericks to Sierra this weekend when I have more time. I already made a bootable UBS of El Capitan install that I downloaded in my purchases tab. I wanted to make a USB bootable of Mavericks but it came pre installed on my Mac mini and I've read it harder or longer process if it came pre installed vs if I had a downloaded install file. I wish I had downloaded it from the App Store when I got my 2012 Mac mini.

    I don't use Safari but use Google Chrome for browser and yesterday I got a banner noting that google chrome will no longer be supporting OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks. So that's another reason I must update my OSX.

    I will miss Mavericks as it served me well thus far.
     
  6. Argyboy macrumors member

    Argyboy

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2017
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #6
  7. MrGuder, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

    MrGuder thread starter macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2012
    #7
    Yeah I ended up creating one for El Capitan only because I had already downloaded it. I started to download Sierra last night from the App Store and it said it was going to take 4 hrs so I let it do its thing over night. I might just create a bootable UBS for that as well. I tried holding out on iOS 9 and Mavericks for as long as I could but now it's got to a point where apps are not being supported on iOS 9 and chrome not supported on the latest OS X of Mavericks so I must update now.

    Question. Can I put the Sierra install file on the same USB bootable stick that I put the El Cap install on? My stick is 32GB so it could hold both. Also last question, does anyone have a link just in case I run into any problems with Sierra install and I have to revert back to El Captian, how do I install the USB bootable file back on my Mac mini if I need to do that (I don't foresee it but I'm not sure how to install from a bootable USB memory stick.
     
  8. MrGuder thread starter macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2012
    #8
    I officially updated my Mac mini from Mavericks to Sierra tonight. I am happy to report all went very smoothly. After the update I went to the App Store and there were some other security update for Sierra along with other apps that needed updating like pages and pixelmator and iPhoto's etc.. I also had to download some updated software for my Logitech mouse for OS X 10.12.6

    My biggest surprise was that I took a pic of my available SSD space before I installed Sierra and it show I had 126 GB of free space and now after updating to Sierra and getting everything set up it now shows I have 150 GB of free space. So Sierra actually helped increase my SSD free space.

    Now I need to update my iPhone 6s from iOS 9 to 11 not sure if I should do that through iTunes or over the air on the device. Will tackle that tomorrow.

    Thanks everyone who helped me.
     

Share This Page