Another mb or mbp question/perspective?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mccldwll, Jun 29, 2007.

1. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Comparing mid mb w/ low mbp, with same HD, same RAM, and assuming price not an issue, how do they stack up? For instance, many seem to prefer the mb keyboard, weight and durability, while the mbp has a bit more real estate and offers better graphics. How about if using either with a separate display? What does that graphics card mean a year or two down the line for general, everyday use? Not a gamer, but what aspects of gaming are likely going to become more integrated into general computer use? What is there about leopard that's better supported on a mbp for general use? I know there's no such thing as futureproofing, but exactly how much more is mbp futureproofed?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the MBP has a dedicated graphics card, which means (among other things) that an external monitor will look and operate better versus when hooked up to a MacBook.

the MacBook keyboard (in my experience) only looks different but operates the same. if you don't look at it - like most keyboard users - you won't notice a difference.

i'm not a gamer so i can't offer any help there.

the MacBook and MacBook Pro are different computers with different specs. comparing them in this sense ("futureproof" - does anyone know what this actually means?) is unfair. asking whether one will hold up better than the other depends on how they are used.

3. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Whether you prefer the MB keyboard or the MBP keyboard is a matter of personal preference. If you're not sure what you like better, I'd recommend visiting an Apple Store and trying them both out. That's what I had to do when I was debating between the two.

As far as other differences, the MBP is using a newer, faster motherboard, and has a dedicated graphics card. You've also got a 2" difference in screen size, and a plastic case versus aluminum. The MBPs also have LED screens now.

So, if you're doing Word processing and playing music, you may not see much of a difference at all. If you're running Photoshop, you would probably prefer the MBP for the graphic card and screen size. The LED screen would give the MBP better battery life than the older model, but I don't know how the battery life compares to the MB.

However, the computers are still pretty close in specs, IMO. The MBP is probably going to run a little bit faster overall, but the MB is going to be more durable (I swear you can dent the MBP by looking at it).

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

The graphics card only matters if you're using GPU-intensive apps like Motion or 3D gaming

re: Leopard - lots of positive reports of it running on MBs.

Well said!

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure that PS wouldn't benefit from the video card - but it would from the MBP's faster frontside bus and processor speed and the greater amount of accessible RAM.

Battery life is up to 6 hours - the same as the MBs - haven't seen how it compares to different tasks (e.g. just watching a DVD) though.

Well said about the keyboards - try before you buy!

6. mccldwll thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. I have tried both and do prefer the mb keyboard. The point about graphics card enhancing external display is interesting. At what display size this might become apparent? I prefer the mbp form, thin bezel, etc.. but the "look at it dent factor" is a concern. WIFI distance reception might also become a concern. The graphics card/future-proofing for me has less to do with apps/heavy lifting, and more to do with tv/mac/etc. convergence--where everything seems to be headed.

7. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

You know.. i've heard a lot about this denting concern.... but i've had my cd mbp for about 5 months now. I've taken it to classes with me on a regular basis, set it on unforgiving (desks in the model shop) surfaces, carried it with me on road trips, set it on my chair and have carried it with one hand (I know.. not the best idea..... eh... i swear I love my mbp) and set it down a bit harder then I would have liked about 3 or 4 times....

Not a scratch or dent on it. I don't find it is really as undurable as people say. I mean... sure if I dropped a book on top of the case or a coffe mug or dropped it within a foot or two off of a hard surface, then yes, i'm sure it would dent, but I can't see a macbook doing the same thing without cracking. I'm sure they are more durable, but the mbp isn't porcelain either.

If you get a decent carrying back and a good neoprene sleeve (for when you want to carry it in a different large bag etc... although laptop bags are prefers, but I have done the latter on a few occasions) for any sort of carrying it around, your mbp will be fine. If you dont' tend to treat equipment carefully or tend to be clumsy... then it might be a problem. But the don't "dent by looking at them"

goodluck with your decision!