Another MBA i5 Battery query

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mac Elvis, May 29, 2012.

1. Mac Elvis, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

Mac Elvis macrumors newbie

I realise there is quite a few posts on this forum and online generally regarding the MBA's battery life however just wanted to ask a specific question which I haven't seen covered anywhere.

I close the lid and leave it in sleep mode overnight and when I wake the MBA has lost around 1% of battery life if any which is great. However after a min or two of opening up Chrome, Mac for Twiiter and checking emails its lost around 4-5%.

Is this normal as its a bit of a drop considering its hardly lost any juice overnight and may take 30-40mins to lose that under normal circumstances.

I have click for flash engaged within Chrome which I'm happy about and so far I reckon the first charge, (onto 2nd since purchase early this week) lasted around 6-7hrs which was great considering I was downloading and on it loads.

I assume this may have something to do with the surge of opening up the applications has on the battery until things level out?

2. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Actually, opening the lid drains the battery 4% every time you open it. Adjusting the lid will also penalize you 2%.

DON'T TOUCH THE LID!!! :eek:

3. Mac Elvis, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

Mac Elvis thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you being serious? Just downloaded Coconut and its saying my refurbished MBA is 16 weeks old, according to the age of the battery.

Its saying its maximum charge is 6509 mAh with a design capacity of 6700 mAh. With Chrome only open Battery power usage is 6.6 watts. Is this normal?

Regards

4. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Could it possibly be losing more than 1% overnight, but it takes that few minutes of use for the battery meter to adjust and reflect properly? I know when I first take it off the charger, the battery meter says "calculating.". Perhaps this is happening in the background and only after a few minutes is it showing accurate battery percentage.

Just a thought.

5. Mac Elvis thread starter macrumors newbie

Could be. Think all this is normal tbh from a little further research. Does your battery show a similar drop though following waking it up from sleep i.e opening the lid?

6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I haven't actually checked. Let me do some testing and get back to you.

7. Mac Elvis thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers, thanks.

8. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

It sounds normal. You'll drive yourself nuts if you start checking it constantly - just use it as you want and if there's a battery issue before your warranty expires, have Apple address then.

9. Mac Elvis thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed, I do think it sounds normal after further research. Cheers.

----------

I think you may have been spot on with the MBA taking a few mins to calculate. No need to go to the trouble of checking as it seems normal in any event. Thanks anyway.

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Just a thought

Do you have Bluetooth on?

11. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Seems normal. I had the MBA sleeping and I woke it up and in the first 5 minutes, it dropped 4%. I think it just takes a bit to calculate. May also have something to do with battery warming up as the CPU generates heat, etc...

12. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

No I was being completely ridiculous. Sorry!

13. Mac Elvis thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, cheers mate. Really appreciate you taking the time to look at this for me. Looking around online, although there isn't anything specific on it, putting bits and pieces of info together it does appear normal. Bit of a newbie anxiety question I think:D

Thanks again.

----------

Bluetooth disabled but the few percent drain appears normal anyway. Thanks.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

When you close the lid and leave it idle overnight, it drops into "deep sleep" mode after about 70 minutes. That's why it loses so little power. In my experience it's about 2-3%, though.