Another MBP 15" 2014 or wait for Skylake thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sam235, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

Hello,
    Its been a really long time since I have posted. I currently have a rMBP 13" late 2013 2.4 i5 8GB 250SSD and Id like to upgrade to the 15" or get another laptop/desktop for when I need the performance. Should I wait for Skylake and buy the base 15" for around 2000 or should I get the 2014 15" with the dedicated graphics card (750m) for 1800 or get another desktop/laptop such as the Lenovo y700. I prefer to have one device but thats not really a priority.
    Edit: I use my laptop for software development, essays, internet, running VM's, gaming (Not very graphic intensive games)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072689-REG/apple_mgxc2ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_notebook.html
    Thank you,

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Like I've said before, the old adage fits, if you can wait then do so, if you cannot, then buy now.

Why buy two computers? I'm really confused by that. I mean if the MBP cannot handle what you want to run and it costs 2,000 then I'd not buy it. Consider perhaps an XPS 15 or something from Alienware?

Would the top of the line MBP with the dGPU fit all your requirements and thus avoid the need for a second laptop?

3. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Well if you've got the 13'' Pro now and unless something is absolutely not working for you, I don't see any reason to run out and buy the current 15''

Personally, I'd take that $2000 and invest it in a really nice desktop setup since you already have a pretty powerful computer in your 13'' Pro. You could easily build a 4k gaming rig for $2000 that's going to smoke the 15'' Macbook Pro and have tons of RAM for your VMs as well.

4. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

I can't see anything wrong with waiting for the Skylake thread.

5. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

I'd wait, the changes may significant when (if) Apple brings out the Skylake MBP's.

6. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I am not quite sure where the problem is. That processor should be plenty for compiling code. If you are looking for a Gaming machine, I suggest you save yourself some money and get much better performance by building yourself a Windows gaming desktop. The 15 inch isn't going to matter much in that area only provide more screen real estate (if that is what you need get a nice monitor). I upgraded to the 15 inch about 4 years ago and I can tell you it is neither a good portable nor does it excel as a desktop. Thinking a refurb 5k iMac and an iPad Air 2 may be the way to go for me.

7. James3000 macrumors newbie

It's a hard one to give advice on because the motive isn't clear. If you're reasonably happy with the performance of your current MacBook and just want a performance boost and a larger screen, then the 15" model you've mentioned should do the trick at a reasonable cost.

That being said, I would say it sounds more like you want something noticeably better (particularly in the graphics department) and you're not too fussed about going for a Windows machine, so a Windows laptop with a good GPU is probably the way forward.

8. lewdvig, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

lewdvig macrumors 65816

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and a Y50-70.

All I can say is that the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) is the best computer I've ever owned, and that is a list that is at least 100 computers long. I think Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder should write a song about how I feel about it.

I doubt anything Apple does next will be as good as this thing. They are all over the map these days with stupid crap like force touch. So if you can get a good deal on the 2014 with dGPU and sell yours to cover much of the cost it might be worth it.

Hopefully they let the MBP product manager do their job without too much avant-garde interventions. The new Intel IGP looks terrific, so you might not even need the 750m. That assumes the next MBP 15" follows the existing (perfect) formula.

But the next 15" might be more like a MacBook so who knows? I suppose the existing MBP refurbs and old stock will still be there when the new 15" is announced.

9. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I feel like if a 2013 MBP is seriously not holding its own, you should really consider buying an iMac or desktop as you'll get more bang for your buck

10. 3568378 Suspended

I have a 2015 15 with Force Touch and I actually disabled that feature from day one. At least I think I did - what's important to me in the touch pad is being able to tap/double tap click and then some of the basic gestures. This touch pad feels great and even better than the one it was replacing (late 08 MBP which had the old style). I guess in a sense there's some gimmick to force touch but I don't really know the difference between what I have now vs what I did have so I'm not sure what you're referring to?

Also, to the original poster, check frequently at B&H Photo because they offer free shipping, no tax if you're outside of NYC and usually have way better prices than Apple. You may be close to range of getting the 2015 for what you're willing to spend for the 2014. I know some prefer the Nvidia but I can tell you that if you're a Final Cut user the 2015 renders faster--actually quite a bit faster.