(Another) MBP black screen issue...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bass, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Bass macrumors member

Bass

Hey all, basically i'm suffering from the MBP black screen issue when trying to wake the machine from sleeping. The other morning I opened my MBP up after sleeping it the previous night and was just presented with a couple of black screens (my MBP and my monitor that it's hooked up to). I figured it was just an isolated incident so I forced a shutdown and restarted and the machine didn't start up (it powered on, LED was on, but no startup chime - though the HD did whir into action). I left the machine for a while whilst it was still switched on and after a while I switched off and on and it worked. The machine showed me my screensaver frozen on the screen and a loading bar appeared, once loaded it allowed me to do everything as normal.

Now, I didn't back anything up as I assumed it was a glitch and wouldn't happen again (naieve I know). So, when I slept the machine that night and turned it on the next morning the same thing happenned - the black screen! I tried repeating my methods of the first time around but wasn't getting anywhere, I tried unplugging everything, taking the battery out, just trying AC power, to no avail. So, I left for work and left the machine on all day. When I got back I switched off and on and it worked - same as first time, screensaver was frozen and a loading bar appeared, before letting me use the system as normal. I tried plugging in my external HD and began saving data before the whole computer froze, meaning I couldn't do anything. I waited for a while, before forcing the machine to shutdown. I tried powering it back on and nothing, black screen again!

By luck I've already ordered a new MBP as I needed an upgrade, but my parents want my old MBP so I'd like to get it working. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I've heard it could be the logic board and this is quite expensive to fix? The machine is a couple of years old so I'm not sure it's valid for repair and it might be too expensive. But, before I take it to Apple (If I do!), does anyone have any suggestions at all? I really need to get my data off of the machine, so if I could it working one time at least to allow me to do this it would be a life saver!

Does anyone have any ideas or anything on this?

Many thanks for your help!

2. Bass thread starter macrumors member

Bass