Another MBP Upgrade question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stixcom92, Jan 28, 2010.

  1. stixcom92 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #1
    Yeah, sorry, but here is another macbook pro upgrade question-

    Background (This matters for the main question)-

    So I'm currently using a 13" Late 2006 refurb 2.0ghz core2 macbook. Since I bought it, I upped the ram to 2 gigs, and the hd to 320 gigs, replaced the battery, and put it through the shop for a screen/case replacement just from normal use (which for me, is every day taking it to school in a very protective case), but yeah, it's been through a lot. When I got it, I only got it just for general personal computing stuff. Now, though, I use it for mainly pro tools and logic, but also for word processing, and pretty much everything else literally, and it is really lagging, especially with pro tools. It will barely run more than 2 software instruments, and it is really slow. I know I need a new laptop soon and I'm getting a 13" MBP, but i'm facing a pretty big dilemma.

    Should I get one now, or should I just wait for the eventual upgrade? By the way it looks, the next chance for an MBP unless apple schedules something is the WWDC in june. I don't have that long. This laptop is already on the fringe, and while I could up the ram, and do other temporary things, I don't want to sink too much money into this thing, while I wait for the questionable upgrade.

    The one thing that's stopping me from upgrading now, is that I have a core2, and i'd be getting a 2.53 core2, so I don't know how big the difference would be. Also, with rumors of apple killing off core duo in 10.7, how much longer will core2 have, and will i5 really be that much faster? I need a new mac soon, as this is what I depend on for everything. Thanks.
     
  2. Velin macrumors 65816

    Velin

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Location:
    Hearst Castle
    #2
    Yes, i5 will be faster. I'd wait for the MBP announcements, they're almost here.
     
  3. Tbone17 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2010
    #3
    I'm in a similar situation. PC died and have decided on the 13" MBP. I've read that there will be an upgrade but who knows when. I don't know how much difference it will make for the average home user. Even when the new ones come out(eventually), there will always be another upgrade coming...

    Tough decision, especially when they're so expensive to begin with.
     

Share This Page