Another MBP vs MP..for HDV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by somni, Feb 23, 2008.

1. somni macrumors newbie

Okay, first of all can the macbook even handle HDV footage?
    I already have an iMac for the 'heavy lifting' but want something to take to work at night for working on hdv footage and photos.

I've got about 8 hours free everything and would like to utilize that time.
    I prefer the small size of the macbook but the lighted keyboard and extra 'umph' of the mbp.
    It would be a apple refurb for the macbook or online seller for the used mbp.
    Price difference is not that much of a difference.
    Also lack of applecare option for the mbp sucks butt.
    Help please.
    update: also the macbook would be a c2d and the mbp would be a cd unless anyone knows of another 'cheap' please to buy c2d mbp,thanks.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The MB can in theory handle HDV, but the MBP will handle it better in general. A MBP might be better due to the larger screen size and matte option, but the MB would be fine hooked up to an external monitor. The difference in the processors is also a consideration. Both will become hot after a little while of editing and exporting. Personally, I just couldn't live with how long it took my MBP to export an hour of HD video, so I sold it and bought a Mac Pro (it's fast, really fast). That's not an option for you, so you would probably be better off with the C2D MB, due to the processor being 64 bit, and thus faster and more efficient than the 32 bit CDs. A C2D MacBook I think would be best for you, HDV isn't too GPU intensive whatsoever, and the C2D is faster than the CD.

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Check out Mrstitch76 on ebay. Shipping is slow, but he sells for a company and is completely legit and has GREAT deals on mac products.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-FACTO...yZ140065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Give it a few days and there should be a new batch of stuff too. A 2.2 macbook pro was 1585 (no tax or shipping)

Good good deals :) Just have to be patient. I got a mini from him last week and it was perfect. New in box an pristine... but there were a few threads on this forums as well as other mac forums and he's found to be good to deal with.

4. somni thread starter macrumors newbie

Ebay?! I am a Craigslist kinda guy! Got a figrig today for $175 off of craigslist! ebay price? $300
    I appreciate the responces though i hadn't even taken into consideration the 64 bit architure of the c2d, thanks for pointing that out. probably going to save a little more cash and find a well prices second hand c2d mbp
    thanks!