another memory upgrade problem here.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by savanahrose, Mar 2, 2012.

1. savanahrose, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I am trying to upgrade my memory from 1 gig to 2 gig in my late 2006 model imac. I took pics of what was on the box (yeah I still have that sucker.) and went down to Best Buy. They sold me 2 GB but the card was 2 times as long as what was in there. I just got back with the new one and put it in and I get nothing but a bright flashing white light.

According to the Apple website I can use ddr2 sdram, what I bought was DDR2. It states for a laptop, which I did not see until now.

So did I buy the wrong kind again? I am going to replace the old memory back into the imac and see what happens.

I just took out the new memory cards and they look the same

I just put in the old ones and it appears to be working again.
    Is the PNY brand any good for an imac? I think I will stay away from Best Buy from now on. I guess I need to go to the apple store or another computer store on Monday. Back to Best Buy to get my money back.

I would appreciate any and all comments.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Intell iMacs take laptop ram. You need two 1Gb 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM sticks.

3. savanahrose, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Yep that is what Best Buy sold me. but the picture on the package is different than what the actual memory looks like. The package says dual channel but the actual memory cards look same except that the chips look smaller than on the old ones. I thought that with 5 years from the original they would have gotten smaller.

Any ideas? I am afraid to go into the apple store. I may walk out with a new mini. hehe.

oops I forgot to say thank you, so thank you for your reply.

4. savanahrose thread starter macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I just checked my memory on my imac and it says that instead of the 1 gb I had now I am down to 512 mb. Did I mess up a memory card or put it in the wrong way?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They only go in one way. Make sure that both of them are in all the way.

6. savanahrose, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

savanahrose

I just put the news back in and the light is still flashing a bright white. I will put the old ones back in again. I know I have the new ones in all the way they won't go in any farther. Any reason for the bright flashing light on the bottom right (sleep light?)

Thanks Intell.

Now I am getting the bright flashing light on the old memory. I am about to give up.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Bad ram? Have you tried putting the new ones in both ways? And one stick of old and one new?

8. savanahrose, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

savanahrose

yeah Intell thank you so much. I was not pushing hard enough. I finally got both of the new memory cards in there. I started that bad baby up and I am good to go. So it is a good birthday after all. :D

My memory is now sitting at 2 gb.