Another Migration Issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gh-design25, Jun 12, 2013.

1. gh-design25 macrumors newbie

I've been on the phone with Apple 3 times, and have been trying to migrate for 3 days now.

I have a 2008 G5imac, which I just fully updated to 10.7.5, etc. I've purchased a 27" iMac(intel quad core i7, 32GB SDRam, 3TB Fusion drive, GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5). As I say I've been trying to migrate my old computer's contents to the new one. I've used Ethernet cables going through our Fios Router, I've tried Ethernet cable direct between the 2 computers, I've tried migrating from my Time Capsule (which I use as my Time Machine disk). It has always frozen... sometimes about "half-way through" (based on the full estimated transfer time as migration began). Sometimes towards the end.. with just a few minutes left. I know I've read that the time estimate is just that... but in all cases the estimate has reached a certain time and just stayed there for hours without changing. However I get no error messages, or any other clue to a problem. The blue progress bar continues to shimmer but doesn't move.

On both computers I have hard drive sleep set to Never, Screen sleep set to never, screen saver set to never. Other applications are all closed. I've unplugged my wacom tablet, Drobo, etc. Not all of these steps each time... just added them in each successive attempt trying to figure out what the problem is.

I'll most likely set up a talk with Apple support again today, but I tried to investigate this on the apple site... however the communities are all shut down right now.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm still doing wrong? I've always left all items checked for migration (Users, Applications, Settings and Other...).
    Can I or should I try un-selecting something that might be hanging me up?

This is just very frustrating.....

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Could be due to file corruption.

Btw, what is a "I have a 2008 G5imac" :p

3. andydckent macrumors member

Try leaving it overnight? I had to do that transfering 2008 imac to 2011 and it said I only had a few mins to go. Was done in the morning.

Hope this helps!

Andy