Another Mini review

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dogslobber, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

There's not a lot to say... It's pretty lackluster. Another step in Apple's war against the mini.

Yet again downgraded and made worse. First stripped of dedicated gpu, now stripped of quadcore and memory/hdd upgrade-ability.

I see no reason to switch off my 2011.

2. Midgetinabikini macrumors regular

I think the 2014 MacMinis are great. I manage to work with Logic Pro just fine, the only game I play is WoW and it runs great on max settings and for my office needs I could probably much older computer anyway. Core I5, 8g ram, 1TB disk.

3. ceraz macrumors member

I got my 2.6GHZ, 8GB, 256 PCIe SSD. I'm very happy with it for what I intend to do with it casual Movie and Photo editing, office work. As an individual, if I wanted a real workhorse I probably wouldn't even consider a new Mac. My personal experience of the new mini is great and I am very pleased with the improved graphics. 256GB is not a lot but I store my bulky media files on my NAS over wired gigabit ethernet.

Yes, I am frustrated that I can't upgrade RAM & CPU like I did with my previous mini but is it a real game changer ? If I was able to change RAM & CPU, I would have taken the same middle model as the higher spec'd modules are usually not cost beneficial.

In a 3-4 years time I would have changed RAM and CPU at a cost but other components may have aged or incompatible with future OSX functionality. Now my upgrade in a few years will be a new system and the 2014 mini will be recycled into a headless iTunes or home automation server.

So short term use but a long term plan!

4. gooser macrumors 6502

i thought it was a very fair and accurate review. as far as these things go.