another monitor or 4 port kvm switch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Keebler, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hey there,

I"m about to pull the trigger on a mac pro (God..i've been saying that for 2 weeks! ugh :) But, i'm really close to doing it.

So here's my dilemma:

I currently have a g5 and a g4 connected to my 20" ACD via a KVM switch.

In asking the following question, i'm hoping your feedback in real life situations (or otherwise :) will help me decide. I'm a firm believer in asking other folks b/c everyone works differently and just b/c i think one way, doesn't mean it's the best (or the worst :) so feedback is hugely appreciated :)

What should I do?

Buy a 4 port gefen switch (gulp expensive, but would do the trick :)

buy another 20" ACD ($699 CDN) and connect directly to one of the machines..probably the g4. Although, I am getting the x1900 so being able to use the extra DVI port would be sweet.

same thing as above, but buy the 23" ACD refurb ($850) from the cdn store

or, something else?

it would be fantastic to buy the switch AND a new screen. then i could connect the new screen directly to the MP and when i hit the button on the switch, I would have 2 going for it, but i don't think that's necessary....more fun than anything. I can see the work efficiency reasons, but it's hard to justify the cash.

oh...and what do i do :) home video transfers, audio transfers and photo work (slideshows/montages and restorations). in most cases, I plan to use the g5 and MP for my hard core work and semi-retire the G4 to do smaller jobs and for ilife stuff.

Thanks for reading.
    Cheers,
    Keebler

when i add the mac pro, I can opt for upgrading my kvm switch

2. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

3. HugMnster macrumors member

If it was me I would go with a new kvm switch but then I like to save room when I can an keep things nice a neat. I have not heard of that brand of kvm switch before but it could be a good one. I'm fixing to be in the market for couple new kvm switch for my new server room that is going to be built here at work an might check that brand out.

Jack

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks HM.

I'll keep you posted as to what I do. i'm actually toying with the idea of buying 2 x 20" dell displays b/c it would be the same price as a 20". then i'll keep the current switch and mac set up, using the 2 20" 'ers on my new mac pro.

decisions....decisions....decisions :)

5. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I think one 23" is better than 2 20", but that's just my preference.

Leave the 20" you have on the switch for your two old computers, then buy one 23" Dell for the Mac Pro.