Another nail in the coffin for HD DVD?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by R.Youden, Feb 12, 2008.

1. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I'm heading to Tokyo tomorrow and I'm going to pick up a BluRay player (PS3) while I am there.

2. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Don't forget to get the HD DVD player for your XBOX 360 ;)

3. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Yes, as it should be! HD is behind BluRay right from the start. It should die.

"One foot in the grave and the other foot on a banana peel."

:D

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Just be aware that Japan is on a different relgion to Europe. So unless the movie you want is region free, you will have to buy them from the US or Japan (US and Japan are in the same region).

5. David G. macrumors 65816

Nice. A link to a British Broadcasting Corporation article about the happenings of a Richfield, Minnesota USA company.:) JK

But anyway, yeah HD-DVD as a movie format is dead.

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Hate to say this.

Theres enough nails for the coffin of HD-DVD to nail 10 coffins shut. :D

I dont see why they keep fighting on, they should just give up. Its really in the best interest of the consumer. Stop with the two formats, and just have one unified format.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Region coding?

8. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

In terms of DVD region codes Japan and the US are not 'in the same region'. Japan is a seperate region code - you cannot play US DVDs on a Japan DVD player. I am assuming the same for BluRay and/or HD DVD?

I have my MacBook coded to play US DVD's and connect it to my TV to watch the stuff I buy when in the 'States.

9. eviltobz macrumors member

just to confuse matters that is an incorrect assumption. hd dvd's greatest strength for the consumer is that it has no region locking (which should have been enough to make it win the war imho) and blu ray has a different region system, which, from what i've seen, splits into just 3 regions instead of dvd's 7.

10. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Thanks for setting me straight, I didn't know BluRay was just 3 regions.

This should be interesting...

Firstly, in regard to pricing for BluRay movies. Japan is expensive for DVD and BluRay discs are even more expensive at the moment, so it could be cheaper to use Amazon or some other service

Secondly, the theatre release schedule in Japan js not always in sync with the US or other countries, with several months lag. Japan tends to stager movie releases to have relatively good movies balanced throughout the year - although for the 'mega-blockbusters' Japan is seeing the releases almost at the same time of late. However, there will always be exceptions and I just got 'The Simpsons Movie' from Amazon a week or so ago, and the movie has yet to hit theatres here (I think it is coming in March?)

11. Noonzio macrumors member

I have myself a Japanese PS3 (40GB) here in Ireland. No problems with voltage or anything like that (the PSU is 110 to 220) and it plays all regions Blu-Rays, this is because the only movie studio which currently region codes its BR's is Fox. It will not however play DVD's from regions other than Asia / Europe and will not play PAL DVD's as it only plays NTSC's disc's.

As a DVD player its out, but as a BR its superb, and at 240 euro in Tokyo compared to 400 euro here its also a bargain. Also, Dualshock controllers have been out in Japan since November 2007, not due out in Europe (and in the US?) until March of this year.