Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emgibs81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
I noticed this when visiting the forums on iPhoneMMS.net (which I've been using for the eMail 2 MMS for a while) ... then it disappeared about 5 min later.

However the header of the one below (Web App) still exists ... dont think it ever said Web App before (why would it?)

Just another rumour I guess but it's good to see there's people out there thinking about this..

(p.s. anyone who's on this beta i'd love to hear from ;))

Em x

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    264.4 KB · Views: 269

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I noticed this when visiting the forums on iPhoneMMS.net (which I've been using for the eMail 2 MMS for a while) ... then it disappeared about 5 min later.

However the header of the one below (Web App) still exists ... dont think it ever said Web App before (why would it?)

Just another rumour I guess but it's good to see there's people out there thinking about this..

(p.s. anyone who's on this beta i'd love to hear from ;))

Em x

This just looks like a Web App - so it's not really an "App," but is just Safari showing you your MMS'd pics. Meh. There are already real Apps (Flutter, Quip) that do this - you get a message to view your pic. You click on the link and Safari opens. We need a real, non-Safari-based App that will allow us to view pics over texting.

emgibs81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Yeah, the web-app has been around for ages ... like a year and a half or something ... i've been using it for ages...

My point is the forum (see screenshot) had a "iPhoneMMS Application Beta Test" line on it for about 5 mins ... with the description "Next Generation of iPhoneMMS : The Native Application" - completely separated from the "Web App" subheading which was never there before.

Then it went away.. hence my suspicions! ... cant blame me for being hopefull

emgibs81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
The Developers Blog has this on it ...

"As I’ve promised for a while a native app for iPhoneMMS is well underway. I’ve teamed up with another experienced iPhone developer to make this a reality"

I've emailed asking if thers a beta... see what they say back - although I did this for iCall too but think that's just vapourware :( - looks cool though.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It would be cool if apple just decided to have any incoming MMS automatically trigger Safari to open. It could be like Flutter (of even the native SMS), but instead of giving a link to click on, Safari (or another viewer) would just automatically open up and the pic. My wife has been getting a lot of mms's lately and still gets totally confused with viewmymessage.com. Why do they make it so complicated?

BOSS10L

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Upstate NY
It would be cool if apple just decided to have any incoming MMS automatically trigger Safari to open. It could be like Flutter (of even the native SMS), but instead of giving a link to click on, Safari (or another viewer) would just automatically open up and the pic. My wife has been getting a lot of mms's lately and still gets totally confused with viewmymessage.com. Why do they make it so complicated?

Because Lord Steve said so, and we all know that Lord Steve knows what is best for all of us. We should just be grateful that he's decided to bestow his magnificence upon us in the first place. ;)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Here's an interesting thread from that site's admin about a native MMS app. Thread is from August 2008. App apparently has been Guantanamoed.

emgibs81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Got this back from Ross (guy behind iPhoneMMS.net)

Hi, thanks for your interest in iPhoneMMS... yes a native app is underway and we hope to have it available before the end of the year... Sorry for the forum snafu ... didn't think anyone noticed that ... but yes we've had a bit of a re-organisation.

No, it doesn't require jailbreak or any support from carriers such as O2 although if the carriers want to license the app themselves and route messages through their own gateways we're certainly not going to discourage them ;)

You will purchase credits for the new app in the same way as you do now... if anything the pricing will decrease, it certainly wont cost any more! :)

The 'traditional' iPhoneMMS.net will stay running for a while, although I imagine eventually it will be completely superseded by the new app, when I start to see usage dwindle I'll consider closing that side of it.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement,

Ross

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Interesting thing is that these people who developed the app will be making money via these mms "credits." we'll have to see how long this lasts: Apple not directly profiting from an iPhone function, or even if this takes off. My vote is for stagnation in the application line, not an outright rejection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.