Another new iMac Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wanski, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Wanski macrumors newbie

I'm about to pull the plug on a new iMac. I have a 2010 MBP running Snow leopard. The info I have found on the forums suggest getting the iMac now with the stable SL OS in case there's problems with Lion. My problem is that I would like a 2TB HD instead of the 1TB stock.
    I have about 250GB of photos, 60GB of music, and about 60 hours of home video that I want to store and access.

Here are my options as I see them:

#1 Order the 2TB and load everything in.

#2 Get the 1TB and chain a 2TB Firewire HD to store things on.

#3 Get the 1TB and get a NAS system for storage and backup.
    I have been researching a NAS and that would be great but frankly it seems technically a bit above me. I had planned to buy some hard drives to back up to and keep a copy off site for safe keeping.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!!

p.s. I have a TC that her MBP backs up to that has ~560GB of 990GB storage.

Cheers!!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I would go with option #2, it would probably be the least expensive way to go. Plus you'll have 3TB of storage overall.

PS. The phrase "pull the plug" usually means to end something... I think you meant to "pull the trigger," just saying... ;)

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'd probably go with option 1, just for the simplicity of the setup. Option 2 would be fine as well, particularly as you are buying a desktop PC.

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I would do option 2 and keep all media etc on the external drive and perhaps even do a firewire daisy chain down the line to add on more storage or do a time machine off one of the drives. It is nice to have a lot of space on the main computer but that is a lot of data to consistently back up and risk losing. Having your data on the external lets you transfer to different machines as well.

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

Get the 2TB internal drive then get a 2 or 3TB external for a new backup drive using time capsule. Just interchange the external with the time capsule you have now every month or so in case either backup drive fails.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

6. Wanski thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone think a Synology DS 211j w/ 2-2TB drives (~$360) would be a good option and store all my pics, vids and music on that and swapping another HD in for a copy to keep off site every month or two for backup?

Sandbox, thanks for the grammar lesson, let me clarify, I am going to pull the trigger on a new iMac and pull the plug on my POS PC. Sound Good :):):)

7. jkmags macrumors member

I had the same question when I was considering my BTO iMac, i eventually went with the 1 TB system drive and the 2 TB WD My Book (listed below, includes all cables). I setup the My Book drive as a raid 1 with 1 TB of storage that I use for Time Machine and my Itunes library leaving my system hard drive for Virtual machines and apps.

As a side note I also backup my data to an HP Media server in case I lose both drives on the WD external.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1310310385&sr=1-4