Another New Mac Buyer!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rjaye, Oct 11, 2008.

1. rjaye macrumors newbie

Hi guys... I'm also someone who is new to the Mac world, waiting for Tuesday to see what comes out... I'm currently using an HP desktop running XP...I love it, but I'm a college student and using a desktop for two years rather than a laptop has just become a pain. I need something NEW and convenient!

I've done plenty of research on Macs and they seem to be the right type of computer for me. (Though I still feel pangs of guilt for abandoning my desktop my parents so generously bought for me...and my dad hates Macs!)

All my friends with Macs gave a resounding "YES!" when I asked if I should buy a Macbook.

So, it seems to be the plan.
    BUT.
    I have one issue to resolve, one that my friends presented.
    They say that it is not uncommon for the hard drive to fail.
    Each one of them has said their hard drive just completely wiped out on them at least once.
    This worries me...I often keep rather important things on my computer, such as irreplaceable photos and art.
    I'd prefer to not have everything on my hd disappear on me one day.
    I do have an external, so that would help, but currently this is the one thing on my mind that would be keeping me from buying a Mac.

Anyone want to give any insight on this?
    Also...is buying extra RAM a must?

2. 204467 macrumors 6502a

If you keep regular backups, it shouldn't be a problem (especially if you download Carbon Copy Cloner (I think that's what it's called) that allows you to create bootable backups). Besides, who knows, maybe the new MB/MBP will be really secure in the HD. Anyway, you should only buy more ram if you do a lot of things. I have two gigs in my iMac, it works great. I recommend that amount. And given the update that will be happening on Tuesday, two gigs might be standard across the board now anyway.

3. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

They fail no more than a HDD would in a PC, since they are the same drives...

hmm... That isn't really possible unless they exposed it to a magnet or the HDD failed

You shouldn't worry any more than you worry today on your PC.

OS X has many backup solutions, including the built in one "Time Machine" That should take care of you in the event of accidental file deletion, or HDD failure

You should always keep backups anyway, (though that is coming from someone who doesn't backup anything... :eek: )

Depends what you are going to be doing with it, and how much will come with the new models.

2GB is what I recommend, if you are doing average work.

Though I try to max out the RAM on all my machines whenever I can...

Hope this helps!
    And welcome to the Mac world!

:)

4. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Oh, yeah, just to clarify. If your friends say their HD are getting wiped, that is probably their fault. My HP laptop's HD died, probably due to me bouncing around a bit to much with it. Just don't jump around with your computer and your HD should be fine.

5. rjaye thread starter macrumors newbie

What about taking it to class on a regular basis?
    Would this do any damage to the HD?

6. rjaye thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm not a big gamer or anything (which people have often warned me about- they say if you want to play games don't get a Mac!) but I am a big fan of the Sims. I've had problems running low on memory on my PC playing the Sims, especially once I was running multiple expansion packs. I'm also really big into multimedia- lots and lots of music, movies, etc.

7. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Oh, you'll be fine. My hard drive died because often my HP was on my bed and I would just jump on my bed and start using it. Also, I would just flop on my bed with my computer. If you take it to class, as long as you don't run really heavily there, you'll be fine. Keep in mind, a computer is not that fragile, though it can break. Just don't drop it. ;)

8. rjaye thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course! I would treat my laptop very well.

9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Go for the macbook, you won't be disappointed..trust me. :cool:

Also, the failure of hard drives are not a problem specific to macs. So really you shouldn't let that stop you.

I've owned at least 5 macs and none of their hard drives failed.

Also, and this is something you should make a habit of regardless of whether a hard drive will or will not fail, is to back up your data regularly.

And with leopard on the macbook, that will be easy as pie because of time machine :D

Just get a good external hard drive and you're set. I recommend firewire but we'll have to see if the new macbooks still have firewire.

10. nicdic macrumors newbie

I've had my first gen MacBook for over 2 years now, and it's had no problems with the hard drive what so ever.

11. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Then your fine. I treat my computers well, it's just sometimes I would get a little rough with my HP. Of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that it's an HP; I would treat the MB/MBP the same way if I had one.

12. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

13. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

We are a MAC house building Filemaker Pro solutions for people and we have never had a hard drive die. Of course we backup regularly so this eases our concern and we use Time Machine. But, again we have all kinds of MACs and have never had a hard drive crap out.

14. 204467 macrumors 6502a

It works wonderfully. Remember, good grammar skills are the cornerstone of a healthy life, along with a nutritious breakfast every morning.